How to order a taxi in Germany: numbers, apps, cost, features and rules of trips
Taxis are in great demand in Germany, especially among visitors. Find out how to order a taxi, what restrictions and requirements exist, and how much a taxi ride will cost
Public transport in Germany is comfortable and works according to the schedule. However, quite often Ukrainian refugees and tourists use taxi services during their stay in the country.
The German taxi service has its own characteristics. Read the rules for traveling in a German taxi in our article.
Earlier, we already told that refugees from Ukraine were obliged to register their cars in Germany and mandatory technical inspection was introduced. Also, in Berlin and Brandenburg, the price of a ticket for public transport has increased since April.
Features of the German taxi service and travel rules
● The only car manufacturer - all German-made cars that work in the taxi service of the Federal Republic of Germany. Also, they have a single design, they can be recognized by their characteristic beige color. It is very rare to find yellow, black, white or silver cars.
● The only format of work - there are no private taxis in the country. Nor will you stop a taxi driver simply by raising your hand. To order a trip, you need to call the dispatch service or use a special mobile application. The only thing is that you can order a car right in the parking lot near airports and hotels.
● The areas of operation of the taxi service are limited by the license - a passenger will be taken to any point of the city, but the taxi driver has the right to take a new client only in clearly defined areas.
● High cost of services - taxi services have increased requirements for quality and comfort, if the driver does not fulfill them, he will receive a large fine. Therefore, to meet the level, drivers have to raise tariffs.
● Some taxi services introduce monthly subscriptions to encourage passengers to use the services of certain companies.
● Social taxi - offers trips on preferential terms for pensioners and other socially vulnerable people. Usually the tariff is about three times lower.
● Strict requirements regarding the number of people in the cabin - there can be no more than three passengers.
● Passengers are not allowed to smoke or drink alcohol - this can result in a large fine. Also, the driver can refuse the trip if he sees that the passenger is intoxicated. Oktoberfest can be an exception.
● The taxi driver must put and take out luggage from the car, but is not obliged to carry things to the door.
● Wheelchairs and strollers are usually transported free of charge.
● The car must have a plate with the driver's name and photo so that the customer knows who is serving him.
● If an item was left in the car, the driver must return it to the lost and found office, which is located in most central offices of the operators.
How to order a taxi in Germany?
● Call taxi services. You can call from any mobile phone. It is not necessary to enter the city code.
- 22-456 (Taxi Deutschland);
- 479-811 (Taxi Berlin);
- 479-803 (Go Taxi).
● Through the mobile application:
- Go Taxi (Android);
- Uber operates in the following cities: Berlin, Cologne, Dusseldorf, Frankfurt, Hamburg, Hanover, Mannheim, Munich, Rostock and Stuttgart.
The cost of a taxi in Germany
There is no single tariff applicable throughout Germany. Tariffs may vary in different countries and cities.
The cost of the initial trip is from 2.8 to 4.5 euros. The average price per kilometer in Germany is 2 euros. The most expensive taxi in Düsseldorf and Dortmund. The cheapest in Frankfurt am Oder.
We remind you, starting from July 1, 2023, Germany will change the rules for providing social assistance at employment centers for Ukrainian refugees. In particular, one of the requirements for receiving benefits will be residence at the place of registration. Read more about how to avoid losing your benefits in our previous article.
Our recommendation for a safe and comfortable trip:
Visit Ukraine Insurance - insurance for a safe stay abroad without unnecessary expenses;
Green Card - compulsory car insurance for traveling abroad;
Visit Ukraine Tickets - book tickets for buses, trains, and airplanes to/from Ukraine and between cities around the world;
Private Lawyer service - professional legal support on visa and migration issues;
Visit Ukraine Merch - buy patriotic clothing and accessories with worldwide delivery.
2 minCost of living
The cost of living in different European countries varies significantly. Find out where to live in the most cost-effective way, taking into account the prices of food, alcohol, clothing, restaurants and transportation
03 Jul. 2023More details
Due to the war, the skies over Ukraine are still closed for air travel. Find out more about the airports closest to the border and where to fly from
07 Jul. 2023More details
The security situation in Ukraine does not stop foreign tourists from seeing the beauty of Ukrainian nature and the atmosphere of its cities with their own eyes. Find out why Ukraine attracts so many tourists despite the full-scale war and where people go most often
07 Jul. 2023More details
2 minCost of living
The cost of living in European cities can vary significantly even within the same country. Find out about the cheapest cities in Europe where you can live comfortably and save money at the same time
09 Jul. 2023More details
The simultaneous stay of visitors in the hotel lobby not more than one person per 10 square meters of serviceable area is allowed.
Persons can visit hotels and stay there (outside hotel room) only if they wear respirator or face mask (including homemade mask), so that the nose and mouth are covered.
Hotel guests are obliged to keep the 1.5 meters distance.
Online check-in making in advance is recommended to avoid queues at check-in to hotel.
Meals in hotels are provided through meals delivery service to rooms upon prior order or at hotel restaurants situated inside or in open areas, provided the distance of at least 1.5 meters between seats at adjacent tables.
Not more than 4 clients are allowed to stay at the table (excluding children under 14 years old). Unless these tables are separated by a special partition;
Self-serve is not allowed.