How to get to Ukraine from Denmark: convenient routes by car or plane + train/bus
The lack of air travel reduces the number of options for getting to Ukraine. However, the country's land borders are open, so we have prepared convenient routes to enter from Denmark
Due to the martial law in Ukraine, the airspace is closed, but the country's land borders are operating normally. Anyone can enter Ukraine, regardless of citizenship. The main thing is to observe the rules of entry.
Ukrainians who received the status of temporary protection in Denmark go home on vacation or to visit relatives, while foreigners are attracted by the beauty of Ukrainian nature, rich culture and main tourist gems.
How to get from Denmark to Ukraine? Read about convenient routes and rules for crossing the border in our material.
Read more about visa rules and obtaining a visa to Ukraine for Danish citizens here.
How to get from Denmark to Ukraine?
The fastest way: by plane to one of the airports in Europe + by train or bus to Ukraine
The fastest way to get to Ukraine from Denmark is to fly to one of the European airports located near the Ukrainian border and continue the journey by land transport.
Ukraine shares a border with Poland, Slovakia, Hungary and Moldova. Each of these countries can be reached by plane:
● Denmark-Poland - a direct flight from Copenhagen to Gdansk is operated by the well-known low-cost airline Wizz Air. In September and October, flights are available three times a week, from November the number of flights will increase to five. Travel time – 1 hour and 5 minutes. Ticket price from 30 euros.
Wizz Air also operates direct flights to Warsaw. You can fly from Copenhagen in 1 hour and 15 minutes. Ticket price from 40 euros.
Another European low-cost carrier, Ryanair, flies from Billund to Poznań. Departure at 19:55, travel time 1 hour 20 minutes. Ticket price from 20 euros.
The Copenhagen-Krakow flight will be convenient for travelers going to Ukraine, because this airport is located quite close to Ukraine, the distance from Krakow to Lviv is 328 km. Ticket price from 60 euros, travel time 1 hour 35 minutes.
● Denmark-Slovakia - you can fly to Kosice from Copenhagen, but this flight is possible only with a transfer. The average duration of the trip is about 10 hours. Ticket price from 90 euros.
● Denmark-Hungary – the Copenhagen-Budapest flight operated by the Hungarian low-cost carrier Wizz Air is available. Travel time is 1 hour 50 minutes. Ticket price from 50 euros.
● Denmark-Moldova - the Copenhagen-Chisinau flight is operated by the Polish airline LOT. The trip is available only with a transfer in Warsaw. The duration of the trip is about 5 hours. The price of the ticket is 200 euros.
Trains to Ukraine from Europe
Ukraine is connected by direct rail to many European cities:
● Poland - from Warsaw you can reach Kyiv, from Przemyśl - to Kyiv, Odesa and Zaporizhzhia, from Chelm - to Kyiv and Kharkiv.
● Hungary - there is a direct train from Budapest to Kyiv.
● Austria - a direct train goes from Vienna to Kyiv.
● Moldova - a direct train goes from Chisinau to Kyiv.
● Slovakia - from Kosice you can reach Chopa and Mukachevo.
See the link for a detailed schedule of trains running between Ukraine and European countries.
Train travel route from Denmark to Ukraine
Copenhagen (Denmark) - Berlin (Germany) - Warsaw (Poland) - Kyiv (Ukraine)
1. Travel time from Copenhagen to Berlin is 6 hours 50 minutes. The day route will have a transfer in Hamburg. Ticket prices start at 37 euros. You can also take the Snälltåget night train from Copenhagen to Berlin. The travel time is 11 hours. The train departs from the Høje-Taastrup stop, which is a 15-minute drive from Copenhagen Central Station. The following classes are available on the train: a standard seat from 49 EUR, a reclining seat from 74 EUR and a bed in a private compartment.
2. There are at least four direct express trains from Berlin to Warsaw. Travel time is about 6 hours 30 minutes. The price of the ticket starts from 29 euros.
3. There is a direct night train from Warsaw to Kyiv called "Kyiv Express", the journey time is 15 hours. Ticket price from 45 euros. Warsaw-Kyiv train number 68 departs from Warsaw Vskhodnya station at 5:45 p.m. and arrives at Kyiv-Pasajyrskyi station at 1:02 p.m. local time.
From Denmark to Ukraine by bus
The Copenhagen-Kyiv bus leaves Copenhagen at 08:05 and arrives in Kyiv the next day, at 20:05. The total duration of the trip is 34 hours. The route includes one transfer in Berlin. Ticket price from 180 euros.
The Copenhagen-Lviv flight is also carried out with a transfer in Berlin. Departure from Copenhagen at 09:00, arrival in Lviv the next day at 11:55. The duration of the trip is 26 hours. Ticket price from 190 euros.
Search for air tickets, train tickets and bus tickets using the link.
From Denmark to Ukraine by own car
The distance to the capital of Denmark - Copenhagen from Lviv is about 1,500 km, and the duration of the trip in your own car is 15-16 hours without stops. You have to go through all of Poland and Germany. The route will include a ferry crossing, it is difficult to do without water transport in Denmark, as it consists of many islands. To enter Ukraine in your own car, you must have a "Green Card" insurance policy.
You can read in detail about the rules for traveling in Ukraine by car with foreign registration at the link.
Many private carriers also offer passenger transportation from Denmark to Ukraine. Search for flights and book tickets in relevant groups on social networks.
How can a Ukrainian leave Denmark without losing protection?
Any refugee who received temporary protection status in Denmark can temporarily return to Ukraine. However, the stay outside Denmark cannot exceed 6 months. If your trip to Ukraine will be longer, the status of temporary protection will be canceled.
Before leaving, be sure to make sure that your residence permit is still valid, if necessary, apply for its extension.
You do not need to deregister with the migration service if you are going on a short trip.
If you are in Denmark on the basis of the visa-free rules, to return to the country, check that the duration of your stay does not exceed 90 days in every 180 days.
How can a Danish citizen enter Ukraine?
Danish citizens do not need a visa to enter Ukraine if the duration of the trip is less than 90 days. For visa-free entry to Ukraine, the following list of documents must be presented at the border:
● Valid foreign passport.
Importantly! Additional risks should be taken into account when traveling through Ukraine under martial law. Military risk insurance can cover losses in the event of an accident due to hostilities or acts of terrorism, outpatient treatment, hospitalization and emergency care.
● Confirmation of the purpose of the planned stay – travel vouchers, tickets to seminars, exhibitions, fairs, invitations from companies and organizations.
● Confirmation of the availability of accommodation – hotel reservations, apartment rental contracts.
● Confirmation of sufficient financial support for the entire period of the planned stay ($45 per person for each day of stay in Ukraine).
When crossing the border, you no longer need to provide proof of vaccination against COVID-19 and wear a protective mask. As of July 1, all Covid-19 restrictions and quarantine measures have been canceled in Ukraine.
Legal support in Ukraine for citizens of Denmark
During their stay in Ukraine, Danish citizens may need legal advice. The most common questions with which Danes turn to specialists: consultation on legal aspects of entry to Ukraine, support of a lawyer, assistance with the preparation of documents. Be sure to contact a specialist if your rights have been violated.
We recommend purchasing it for a safe and comfortable trip to Ukraine:
Visit Ukraine Insurance - safe travel in Ukraine (insurance covering military risks);
Visit Ukraine Tickets - book bus and train tickets to/from Ukraine;
Visit Ukraine Tours - the largest online database of tours to Ukraine for every taste;
Visit Ukraine Hotels - book hotels for a comfortable stay in Ukraine;
Visit Ukraine Merch - choose patriotic clothing and accessories with worldwide delivery.
Cooperation - cooperation and advertising integrations with Visit Ukraine and Visit World projects.
Ukrainians sincerely believe in the victory over the enemy and show incredible support for the army. Find out more about how many Ukrainians are willing to compromise with russia and how many are ready to fight until the cherished Victory
29 Jul. 2023More details
The capital has introduced a secure payment function for municipal buses called Express Mode. Here's how to set up the new contactless payment technology
30 Jul. 2023More details
Starting from August 1, cars and passenger vehicles will be able to cross the border with Poland using the eCherha service. Find out more about how to sign up for the electronic queue online
30 Jul. 2023More details
In the past, foreigners most often bought small souvenirs to remember Ukraine, but today the demand has grown for a different category of goods. Find out what foreigners are buying in Ukraine and what is the reason for these changes
31 Jul. 2023More details
The simultaneous stay of visitors in the hotel lobby not more than one person per 10 square meters of serviceable area is allowed.
Persons can visit hotels and stay there (outside hotel room) only if they wear respirator or face mask (including homemade mask), so that the nose and mouth are covered.
Hotel guests are obliged to keep the 1.5 meters distance.
Online check-in making in advance is recommended to avoid queues at check-in to hotel.
Meals in hotels are provided through meals delivery service to rooms upon prior order or at hotel restaurants situated inside or in open areas, provided the distance of at least 1.5 meters between seats at adjacent tables.
Not more than 4 clients are allowed to stay at the table (excluding children under 14 years old). Unless these tables are separated by a special partition;
Self-serve is not allowed.