In which countries do tourists outnumber the local population?
In some countries, the annual number of tourists is several times higher than the local population. Learn more about the most popular locations and cities visited by millions of tourists from around the world
Many countries around the world are experiencing an oversaturation of foreign tourists, who not only outnumber the local population but also cause damage to cultural sites. For example, a number of European countries have begun to introduce taxes and fines for tourists to protect popular tourist destinations.
So, which countries and cities were included in the ranking of the most crowded tourist destinations - we will tell you further in the article with reference to the research of MoneyTransfers.
Too touristy: ranking of cities by the number of visitors
The top 10 most crowded cities in the world are:
1. Phuket, Thailand - there are 118.5 tourists per local resident. It should be noted that this popularity is due not only to the natural beauty and incredible beaches, but also to the good value for money for accommodation, food, entertainment, and other services.
2. Pattaya, Thailand - there are 98.7 tourists per local resident. This city is mostly chosen by active tourists who enjoy water sports and a vibrant nightlife.
3. Krabi, Thailand - 72.2 tourists per 1 local resident. Krabi attracts tourists with its incredible landscapes, including limestone cliffs, clear water, and picturesque and lush jungle. This city is considered a haven for adventurers and enthusiasts who love outdoor activities and extreme sports.
4. Mugla, Turkey - 40.2 tourists per 1 local resident. Mugla successfully combines ancient history and Mediterranean charm, so there are many interesting and sometimes unique places that attract tourists from all over the world.
5. Hurghada, Egypt - 28.2 tourists per 1 inhabitant. Tourists go to Hurghada not only for a beach vacation, but also for diving and snorkeling, because it is really developed at a very high level.
6. Macau, China - 26.9 tourists per 1 inhabitant. Chinese Macau is also called the "Asian Las Vegas" because of the large number of casinos here. In addition, the city attracts tourists with its vibrant nightlife and Portuguese colonial architecture.
7. Heraklion, Greece - 22 tourists per 1 inhabitant. First of all, this number of tourists is due to the fact that Heraklion is the starting point for the further travel of many tourists, but the city is famous for its rich history and culture.
8. Venice, Italy - 21.3 tourists per 1 local resident. Venice hardly needs any special introduction, but this city really suffers from the influx of tourists. Recently, it even introduced an entry fee.
9. Rhodes, Greece - 20.3 tourists per 1 inhabitant. Rhodes combines ancient history and culture with authentic resort beaches, which is why a very large number of tourists visit this place every year.
10. Miami, USA - 18.6 tourists per 1 inhabitant. This city attracts not only enthusiasts who want to have fun in nightclubs, but also lovers of cultural and beach vacations.
Which countries attract the largest number of tourists annually?
Despite the fact that Thai cities are among the top three most visited cities, the country itself is relatively low in the ranking of the most visited countries.
Instead, the top spot in the list goes to Austria, which has a population of 8.9 million, while about 32 million visitors come here annually. On average, there are 3.6 tourists per capita.
The second and third places are occupied by Hong Kong and Greece with 3.8 and 3 tourists per 1 inhabitant, respectively.
Please note! One of the most important components of a trip is trip planning, because without proper organization, the whole vacation can go wrong. Therefore, when planning a trip, be sure to take care of proper medical insurance, a responsible carrier, or car insurance if you want to go on vacation on your own. You can apply for travel and car insurance, as well as book train, bus, and plane tickets between cities around the world on the Visit Ukraine website.
Do not neglect your own safety and travel with confidence! We wish you a successful vacation and a lot of pleasant impressions!
We remind you! Almost 100% of people living in Europe breathe air that is significantly more polluted than the WHO maximum permissible limit. This leads to exacerbation of diseases and even death. Read more about which cities in Europe have the most polluted air and how the authorities are solving this problem in our previous article.
You may be interested in:
Visit Ukraine Donation - make a good deed and an important contribution to the Victory of Ukraine;
Visit Ukraine Legal advice - comprehensive legal support on entry to Ukraine;
Visit Ukraine Tours - the largest online database of tours to Ukraine for every taste;
Visit Ukraine Merch - choose patriotic clothing and accessories with worldwide delivery;
Visit Ukraine News - get the latest news and updates in our Telegram channel;
Cooperation - cooperation and advertising integrations with Visit Ukraine and Visit World projects.
Ukrainians in the Czech Republic have made a significant contribution to the country's economy this year. According to estimates made by the Czech government, the amount of taxes and fees paid by this group of migrants is between 12 and 15 billion Czech crowns. Find out how the amount of taxes paid by Ukrainians affects the development of the country
17 Sep. 2023More details
Despite the difficult reality, Ukrainians do not give up their traveling thirst. Find out more about what vacation destinations they choose when their favorite beaches are unavailable and where to plan your fall trip in 2023
17 Sep. 2023More details
In recent weeks, Ukraine has conducted a series of successful operations in Crimea, which resulted in the destruction of russian ships and advanced air defense systems. Learn more about the special operations that have become a phenomenon in the world history of warfare
18 Sep. 2023More details
The UNESCO Committee has decided to give several historical sites in Ukraine the "threatened" status. Learn more about how this will help preserve world heritage against the backdrop of russia's ongoing war against Ukraine
18 Sep. 2023More details
The simultaneous stay of visitors in the hotel lobby not more than one person per 10 square meters of serviceable area is allowed.
Persons can visit hotels and stay there (outside hotel room) only if they wear respirator or face mask (including homemade mask), so that the nose and mouth are covered.
Hotel guests are obliged to keep the 1.5 meters distance.
Online check-in making in advance is recommended to avoid queues at check-in to hotel.
Meals in hotels are provided through meals delivery service to rooms upon prior order or at hotel restaurants situated inside or in open areas, provided the distance of at least 1.5 meters between seats at adjacent tables.
Not more than 4 clients are allowed to stay at the table (excluding children under 14 years old). Unless these tables are separated by a special partition;
Self-serve is not allowed.