What to do in a radiation accident?
The Ministry of Health has published an algorithm of actions in the event of a radiation accident. Currently, in all regions of the country, the radiation background level is within the normal limits, and it is constantly monitored by the Control and Prevention Centers of the Ministry of Health. However, in the conditions of martial law, the population must be warned about actions in case of various types of threats.
What to do in case of a radiation accident?
• The first rule is to stay in a shelter or enter it if you are outside. The safest place will be a basement or a room in the middle of the building, preferably without windows, external walls, and roof, because it is on them that radioactive substances settle. Windows and doors should be closed, openings should be closed with tape or a damp cloth, and all ventilation systems should be turned off, including air conditioners and heaters.
• The second rule is to expect official information from local authorities and rescuers. It is necessary to follow all instructions that you will receive from these sources. For access, you can turn on the TV or radio, or follow relevant groups on social networks.
How to disinfect yourself?
1. Take off your outer clothing - this way you will get rid of 90% of radioactive dust. This must be done carefully so as not to shake the dust. Then put the clothes in an airtight container or plastic bag and keep them away from people and pets.
2. Take a shower with soap and shampoo your hair. It is worth noting that hair conditioner cannot be used because it will bind radioactive particles to your hair. It is also not necessary to rub the skin, because radioactive dust can get into the wounds. It is worth noting that even if the radioactive material gets into surface or underground water, it will be diluted with water to a very low level and will be safe for washing the body, clothes, and other household needs. If it is impossible to take a shower, wash your hands, face, and all exposed parts of the body under soapy water. Pay special attention to eyelashes, eyelids, and ears. If there is no water, use wet wipes or a cloth.
3. Put on clean clothes and use a mask or respirator and gloves.
How to save water and food?
Until information is received from the local authorities about the quality of the tap water, only bottled water is allowed to be consumed, as the packaging protects the drinks from the ingress of radioactive substances.
Please note that boiling will not rid you of radioactive materials in the water.
Water that is in the refrigerator, toilet, water heater or other containers in the house is also safe to use.
All food products that have been stored in the refrigerator, freezer or have been hermetically packed (cans, bottles, boxes, containers) are safe for consumption. The only thing is that before opening the food container and using kitchen utensils, it must be wiped with a damp towel. Store the towel in a sealed bag away from people and animals.
Should I take potassium iodide?
Currently, information about the need to use potassium iodide is actively spreading among people. What is it? This is a drug that is sold in pharmacies, most often in the form of tablets. If taken on time in the required dose, it blocks the absorption of radioactive substances by the thyroid gland, which reduces the risk of thyroid diseases, including the development of cancer.
We draw your attention to the fact that it will not protect a person from radiation, because the active substances are aimed only at protecting the thyroid gland. It is also worth noting that iodine prophylaxis is carried out once. Therefore, potassium iodide should only be taken if notified by local authorities. Taking the drug unnecessarily can harm your health.
What to do in case of a chemical attack?
12 Apr. 2022More details
The simultaneous stay of visitors in the hotel lobby not more than one person per 10 square meters of serviceable area is allowed.
Persons can visit hotels and stay there (outside hotel room) only if they wear respirator or face mask (including homemade mask), so that the nose and mouth are covered.
Hotel guests are obliged to keep the 1.5 meters distance.
Online check-in making in advance is recommended to avoid queues at check-in to hotel.
Meals in hotels are provided through meals delivery service to rooms upon prior order or at hotel restaurants situated inside or in open areas, provided the distance of at least 1.5 meters between seats at adjacent tables.
Not more than 4 clients are allowed to stay at the table (excluding children under 14 years old). Unless these tables are separated by a special partition;
Self-serve is not allowed.