Come back

2 min

20 Oct. 2022


Entry and residence of Ukrainians in Austria during the war: where to look for housing and work, how to get financial assistance

For refugees


Entry and residence of Ukrainians in Austria during the war: where to look for housing and work, how to get financial assistance

An insurance policy is a guarantee of your safety and peaceful stay outside of Ukraine
An insurance policy is a guarantee of your safety and peaceful stay outside of Ukraine

Austria, like other countries of the European Union, against the background of the full-scale invasion of Russia into Ukraine, introduced simplified conditions for registration of protection for Ukrainians. We have collected information about the rules of moving to Austria and social support in this article.

Rules of entry

There are currently no restrictions introduced in connection with the COVID-19 coronavirus. Free coronavirus tests are available at the Humanitarian Arrival Center Vienna (Engerthstraße 267-269, 1020 Vienna).

Entry without a biometric passport is allowed, but only for citizens of Ukraine fleeing the war. This rule does not apply to travel. If the passport expires or you arrived with your child without a foreign passport, contact the Embassy of Ukraine in Austria (1180 Vienna, Naaffgasse 23).

Ukrainians coming to Austria can stay in the country without a visa for up to 90 days. In order to stay longer and receive social support, as in other EU countries, it is necessary to obtain a temporary protection status in Austria. Currently, this right allows you to legally stay in the country until March 3, 2023.

It is possible to apply for refugee status in Austria, but it is subject to a number of restrictions: it is necessary to submit personal documents, as a result of which it is impossible to return home or get a job for a long time until the documents are processed. For more details on the difference between temporary protection status and refugee status, see at the link.

Ukrainians traveling with their pets should know that Austria does not require the provision of medical certificates on the current veterinary examination of animals or certificates on blood tests for the titration of antibodies to the rabies virus. However, it is desirable to have a veterinary passport.

Where to apply for protection?

To obtain the status of temporary protection, contact the police registration points. The addresses of the relevant municipal institutions are at the link.

Your right to residence will be confirmed by an identity card for displaced persons ("Blue Card"). It will be sent by mail to the registered address.

With this status, you can travel to EU countries for up to 90 days, as well as go to Ukraine for a short period of time without losing your right to reside in Austria. If you plan to return to Ukraine permanently, then you need to go through the deregistration procedure at the institution where you issued protection.


Upon arrival, you will be accommodated in temporary housing and provided with food and other necessary items: hygiene products, children's equipment, etc.

The Vienna Humanitarian Arrival Center is located at Engerthstraße 267-269, 1020 Vienna.

Austria provides Ukrainians with free long-term housing located throughout the country. It is impossible to select a region. The type of accommodation is different, but you will not have to share a room with other people. If you want to live with relatives, inform the staff about this and they will try to arrange shared accommodation for you or place you nearby.

Austrians also host Ukrainians in their own apartments. To search, go to:

    • Federal Agency for Care and Support (BBU);

    • Housing agency Diakonie;

    • Homes for Ukraine – an initiative of non-profit organizations engaged in the organization of accommodation.

Ukrainians can rent housing on their own, while maintaining basic benefits for care and food. You can also apply for a housing rental subsidy. The rent subsidy for a family (from 2 people) is up to 300.00 euros per person per month.

There are several online platforms for finding accommodation: and

Financial assistance

If you are accommodated in organized places for accommodation, then all accommodation costs will be covered for you, food will be provided or money for it. As part of the support, you have the right to receive clothing allowance - 150.00 euros per person per year, as well as pocket money - up to 40 euros per person per month.

For those who live in a private apartment, in addition to the housing subsidy, you can get financial support. For adults - up to 215.00 euros, for minors - up to 100.00 euros per person per month. There is also a clothing subsidy of up to 150.00 euros/person/year.

Due to the increase in the cost of living, a one-time payment of 500 euros for an adult and 250 euros for a child was introduced in October.

Families with children can count on monthly support per child ranging from 114 euros for a newborn to 141.50 euros for teenagers. All Ukrainians have the right to claim the payment, regardless of whether they are employed or not. In September, each child between the ages of 6 and 15 is paid money for school entry in the amount of 100 euros. There is also a subsidy for school supplies - up to EUR 200.00 per child per year.

If you have a child with special needs (degree of disability of at least 50%), an additional amount of EUR 155.90 per month per child is paid.

An application for receiving state assistance for families must be submitted to the tax service

Medical services

Ukrainians who have obtained temporary protection in Austria have the right to access medical services: to receive a doctor's consultation and free medicines. Registration is carried out when applying for social services. After registration, you will be assigned an insurance number.

However, we would like to remind you that if you are planning a trip abroad, you should take care of the insurance policy, because it is the guarantee of your safety and peaceful stay outside of Ukraine. In order not to have trouble abroad and to be calm for yourself and your loved ones, Visit Ukraine recommends taking out medical insurance in advance.


Children who came to Austria with their parents have the right to attend educational institutions. Information about kindergarten registration can be obtained from the municipality in which you live (e.g. MA10 in Vienna). For allocation of school places, contact the Education Management Advisory Center.

The academic year in Austria begins on September 1. Children go to school at the age of 6 and study for 9 school years.

Where to look for work?

After issuing a certificate of a forcibly resettled person ("Blue Card"), you will gain access to the Austrian labor market. Registration and job search is done through the Austrian Public Employment Service (AMS). The Center will collect your data, such as education, professional experience and skills, as well as other personal information and offer vacancies. If you found a job on your own, the employer can also apply to AMS to obtain a work permit for you.

You can search for a job independently on the platforms: jobs-for-ukraine, ukrainejobs and jobs.trendingtopics.

Free travel

Free travel in Austria is valid until the end of October in Vienna, Lower Austria and Burgenland. At the same time, it is enough to have a passport of a citizen of Ukraine for trips.

From November 1, the "Not-Ticket Ukraine" emergency ticket will be issued only to Ukrainians arriving by train from the Czech Republic, Slovakia and Hungary. Issuance will be carried out by the controller in the trains. The ticket is valid for 24 hours from the date of issue for onward travel on ÖBB trains within Austria or for travel to EU countries neighboring Austria.

More detailed information about the new rules of travel in public transport can be found at the link.


Ukrainians who plan to come to Austria in their own car can familiarize themselves with all the rules and requirements by following the link.

For those who are traveling or are going to leave Europe in their own car, the "Green Card" insurance policy is available. You can issue it here.

Recommended articles

3 min

For refugees Canada: rules of entry and residence in 2024. What Ukrainians need to know? (updated)

Canada: rules of entry and residence in 2024. What Ukrainians need to know? (updated)

Ukrainians wishing to go to Canada in 2024 should familiarise themselves with the new immigration rules, as the government of this country has made adjustments in this matter. Find out how to get to Canada, what documents are needed and whether there are now programmes for Ukrainian citizens

14 Mar. 2024

More details

3 min

For refugees USA: Uniting for Ukraine (U4U), rules of entry and residence. Everything a Ukrainian needs to know in 2024 (updated)

USA: Uniting for Ukraine (U4U), rules of entry and residence. Everything a Ukrainian needs to know in 2024 (updated)

The United States continues to accept Ukrainians and provide them with protection under the Uniting for Ukraine program. At the same time, Ukrainians already in the country can renew their previously issued humanitarian parole. Here's a look at the current rules for entering and staying in the United States in 2024

13 Mar. 2024

More details