How to purify drinking water at home: 5 effective ways
How to purify drinking water at home: 5 effective ways
If there is no central water supply, you should always keep supplies of drinking and technical water at home. In particular, it is necessary to stock up for at least 72 hours, namely: 3 liters of drinking water and 10-12 liters of water for technical needs.
If you find yourself in a situation where there will be no drinking water at all, it is advisable to know what methods of disinfection exist. The Center for Strategic Communications of Ukraine offers several options for disinfecting drinking water in the event that the water supply will be unavailable for a long time.
Attention! Be sure to mark the containers with tags: "Water disinfected for drinking", "Water for technical needs", "Water for household needs". If packaged bottled drinking water is not available, use drinking water from wells, mine wells, drinking water dispensing points (including mobile ones), if available, and pump stations. Their addresses can be found here.
Before cleaning, evaluate the water by color and smell:
• It should not be colored.
• To check, take a third of the volume of the bottle and shake it vigorously. If there is foam on the surface, such water is not suitable for consumption.
• Once the test is complete, rate the water by smell. If there is a chemical, gasoline, corpse or other unpleasant smell, it is forbidden to use the water for drinking.
How to disinfect water by boiling?
Boiling is an effective method of water purification. To do this, take water from any alternative source, such as a well, pump station or filling point, and boil it for at least 10 minutes from the moment of boiling.
However, at the moment of boiling, the salts contained in the water turn into an insoluble sediment, which, gradually deposited in the body, forms stones.
At the same time, it should be remembered that even when stored in a clean and well-closed container, the shelf life of boiled water does not exceed one day.
How to purify water using a special filter?
Ordinary water filters, which can be purchased in special stores, are able to additionally purify water from harmful impurities and substances after using the boiling method.
Before buying any filter, you should learn about the main types of filters, their functions and disadvantages:
- flowing - mechanical particles are removed, after which salts, chlorine and organic substances are bound, the last stage of purification - the water is freed from unpleasant odors. In case of stopping the movement of water through the filter on the cartridges, pathogenic flora can multiply. If necessary, household filters are supplemented with ultraviolet lamps;
- accumulative (jugs) - sufficiently clean the water from excess chlorine and mechanical impurities in the water. But such filters are not able to work with water with a significant iron content and hard water, and they are also not able to cope with bacteria and viruses;
- ion-exchange - ionites, when in contact with water, take away negative ions of hardness salts, and instead "give" hydrogen or sodium ions. After water is purified, it loses its taste and becomes too soft;
- membrane - provides reliable protection against the passage of bacteria and viruses, and also retains calcium, sodium, potassium and other trace elements necessary for the human body.
It should be remembered that any filter, if it is not changed in time, can become a source of pollution as bacteria accumulate in them and instead of cleaning the water, the filter only pollutes it.
How to disinfect water using travel disinfection tablets?
Special tablets that contain chlorine, iodine, chlorine dioxide or other disinfectants can also effectively purify water and make it drinkable.
Such tablets can be purchased in tourist shops and pharmacies. However, strictly follow the instructions for use.
Pay attention! Treated water with the help of tablets acquires a characteristic taste, but it will definitely be drinkable. Such water is allowed to stand for at least an hour, for reliability it can be longer.
How to disinfect water using activated carbon?
For one liter of water, you need to take 4-5 tablets of activated carbon, put them in gauze and immerse them in water for 6-12 hours. Keep in mind that water purified by this method will be usable for no more than 3 days.
Can you purify water with silver?
Specialists warn: silver ions are very harmful to the human body and can cause considerable damage to health. Therefore, this method is not only ineffective, but also dangerous.
Keep in mind that water disinfection methods do not provide 100% purification, but can be the only salvation for dehydration.
We will remind you! Martial law emergency preparedness is a strategic decision that will allow you to stay calm in critical situations. We advise you to familiarize yourself with tourist life hacks that will prevent you from freezing and starving in the winter in an apartment. More details at the link.
The simultaneous stay of visitors in the hotel lobby not more than one person per 10 square meters of serviceable area is allowed.
Persons can visit hotels and stay there (outside hotel room) only if they wear respirator or face mask (including homemade mask), so that the nose and mouth are covered.
Hotel guests are obliged to keep the 1.5 meters distance.
Online check-in making in advance is recommended to avoid queues at check-in to hotel.
Meals in hotels are provided through meals delivery service to rooms upon prior order or at hotel restaurants situated inside or in open areas, provided the distance of at least 1.5 meters between seats at adjacent tables.
Not more than 4 clients are allowed to stay at the table (excluding children under 14 years old). Unless these tables are separated by a special partition;
Self-serve is not allowed.