How to get from Ukraine to Hungary: convenient routes, rules of entry and obtaining temporary protection
Hungary continues to accept refugees from Ukraine. Learn more about the rules of entry to Hungary for Ukrainians and how to get temporary protection status
Hungary is one of the EU countries that shares a border with Ukraine and accepts Ukrainian refugees. We will tell you about the rules of entry to Hungary for Ukrainians and how to obtain the status of temporary protection here.
How to get to Hungary from Ukraine?
Currently, you can get to Hungary either by car or by rail. You can also cross the border with Hungary on foot at the Vylok, Dzvinkove and Kosyno border crossing points.
We talked about which checkpoints on the Ukrainian border are currently working in more detail here.
There are also currently 11 railway routes between Ukraine and Hungary:
• №31 Mukachevo - Budapest, daily from Mukachevo at 16:30, Chop 17:40/18:15, Ferihegi (airport) 22:14/22:15, Budapest - Nyugati at 22:37;
• №34/33 Budapest - Mukachevo, daily from Budapest-Nyugata at 07:23, Ferihegy (airport) 07:42/07:43, Chop 13:40/14:20, arrival in Mukachevo at 15:30. Return from Mukachevo at 12:30, Chop 13:40/14:10, Ferihegy/Airport 18:14/18:15, arrival Budapest-Nyugata at 18:37;
• №140 Vienna – Zahon – Chop and No. 149 Chop – Zahon – Vienna; These flights are daily, with an instant transfer in Zahon. Departure from Vienna at 16:42, arrival in Chop at 02:28 (with the possibility of a convenient transfer to 749/750 to Kyiv). Return from Chop at 03:28 (also convenient from train 749/750), arriving in Vienna at 11:21.
• №6280/6281 Zahon - Chop - Zahon daily departing from Zahon at 03:42, arriving in Chop at 05:00, returning from Chop at 05:29, arriving in Zahon at 04:47;
• №6282/6283 Zahon - Chop - Zahon daily departure from Zahon at 06:34, arrival in Chop at 07:52, return from Chop at 08:22, arrival in Zahon at 07:40;
• №6284 Debrecen – Mukachevo daily departure from Debrecen at 05:58 via Nyiregyhaza and Kishvarda, arrival in Chop at 09:53, arrival in Mukachevo at 11:33;
• №6285 Chop – Zahon daily departure from Chop at 10:25, arrival Zahon at 09:43;
• №6286/6287 Zahon - Chop - Zahon daily departure from Zahon at 14:24, arrival in Chop at 15:42, return from Chop at 16:12, arrival in Zahon at 15:30;
• №6288/6289 Zahon - Chop - Zahon daily departure from Zahon at 18:37, arrival in Chop at 19:55, return from Chop at 20:25, arrival in Zahon at 19:43;
• №6290/6291 Zahon - Chop - Zahon departing from Zahon at 20:41, arriving in Chop at 21:59, returning from Chop at 22:29, arriving in Zahon at 21:47 daily;
• №749/140 Kyiv – Budapest (as part of non-stop trains Kyiv – Vienna).
Border crossing rules
If you plan to cross the Ukrainian-Hungarian border without a visa for the purpose of a temporary stay (up to 90 days), you will need a biometric international passport. Read more about how the visa-free regime with the EU works here.
Today, citizens of Ukraine can also enter Hungary with only a birth certificate, a Ukrainian internal passport (in the form of a booklet or ID card) or without documents at all.
If you entered the territory of Hungary without a valid biometric passport, you need to register at one of the offices of the Hungarian Migration Service. There you will be issued a Hungarian residence permit.
Temporary protection in Hungary
Hungary provides temporary protection (menedékes) to Ukrainian citizens and their family members who were forced to leave Ukraine due to the war. This status is granted only to those Ukrainians who were in the territory of Ukraine until February 24, 2022. Temporary protection is uniform for all EU member states.
About how the status of temporary protection differs from the status of a refugee, see the link.
The status of temporary protection gives citizens of Ukraine the right to housing, medical care, work, and education. In case of granting temporary protection in Hungary, a special Hungarian identity card is issued.
You can apply for protection status in Hungary at any office of the Hungarian Directorate of Migration Service and Citizenship, you must bring an existing identity document and a photograph with you. Addresses can be found at this link.
Which countries are convenient to travel to from Hungary?
If you do not plan to stay in Hungary, but use it as a transit country, you have many options. But the most popular routes are:
– by bus or train from the Hungarian capital Budapest to three other European capitals: Bratislava (Slovakia), Vienna (Austria) and Prague (Czech Republic);
– by plane from Budapest to other European countries, in particular, cheap tickets can be found to Germany, Italy, Spain, Poland, Denmark and Ireland;
- by plane from Debrecen to Tel Aviv (Israel).
Remember! An insurance policy is a guarantee of your safety and peaceful stay outside of Ukraine. In order to protect yourself from troubles abroad and to be calm for yourself and your loved ones, Visit Ukraine recommends not to delay and take out insurance online.
Azovstal is a giant metallurgical plant that produced more than 7 million tons of steel every year, and today it is a destroyed symbol of the insubordination of Ukrainian soldiers. Learn more about objects that were made from real Ukrainian steel.
"Person of the Year" according to Time, Profil, Financial Times and prestigious orders - what awards in 2022 went to the leader of the Ukrainian people Zelenskyy
The charming city in the west of the country, Chernivtsi, fascinates every tourist with its scenery and history. Learn more about the unique locations and how life in the city changed during the full-scale war
New Christmas merch collection from Visit Ukraine - your patriotic look and the perfect holiday gift for family or friends
Wed, 14, 2022More details
The simultaneous stay of visitors in the hotel lobby not more than one person per 10 square meters of serviceable area is allowed.
Persons can visit hotels and stay there (outside hotel room) only if they wear respirator or face mask (including homemade mask), so that the nose and mouth are covered.
Hotel guests are obliged to keep the 1.5 meters distance.
Online check-in making in advance is recommended to avoid queues at check-in to hotel.
Meals in hotels are provided through meals delivery service to rooms upon prior order or at hotel restaurants situated inside or in open areas, provided the distance of at least 1.5 meters between seats at adjacent tables.
Not more than 4 clients are allowed to stay at the table (excluding children under 14 years old). Unless these tables are separated by a special partition;
Self-serve is not allowed.