France plans to provide permanent housing for Ukrainian refugees: who will be able to legalize
The French government plans to provide permanent housing and employment assistance to Ukrainians who arrived in the country after the invasion. Find out more about the grounds for obtaining a permanent residence permit in France and the prospects for obtaining citizenship
About 100,000 refugees from Ukraine live in France, including 20,000 schoolchildren studying in local educational institutions. Recently, the Prime Minister of the country, Elizabeth Bourne, said that the number of refugees has already stabilized, and the war continues, so the French Government plans to move to the next stage of the integration of Ukrainians - to provide refugees with permanent housing, help with employment and language learning.
For legal residence in France, Ukrainians can extend the status of temporary protection or apply for a long-term visa, permanent residence or citizenship. What are the ways to stay in France and what is required to obtain a residence permit?
Where to stay in Paris: the best neighborhoods and prices.
Long-term visa "Visitor" ("Guest")
The long-term "Visitor" visa is designed for financially independent citizens of non-EU countries who plan to stay in France for more than 90 days. The permit is issued without the right to work in the country. The main condition for registration is that a foreigner must confirm that he has a stable and sufficient source of income. The permit is issued for a period of 1 year with the possibility of extending it an unlimited number of times if the conditions of the program are met. Together with the applicant, a spouse, minor children and parents of the applicant or the second spouse who are fully dependent on the applicant can receive a long-term visa.
After 5 years of residence, a foreigner can claim a permanent residence permit, and then citizenship of the country.
Grounds for obtaining a permanent residence permit in France
Ukrainians can obtain a permanent residence permit in France if they meet one of the following requirements:
- They are employed on the basis of an employment contract - the employer can submit a request for an employee and if it is approved, the foreigner will be able to obtain a permanent residence permit for a period of 1 to 10 years.
- They will open their own business in France (business) - it can be a new firm or a branch of a Ukrainian company. Tips for Ukrainian entrepreneurs on how to open a business in France are collected here.
- They will issue a permit for students - French universities accept foreign students without restrictions, and the cost of education is quite moderate.
- They buy real estate - a residence permit is issued for 1 year with the possibility of extension when buying an apartment. However, working with this permission is prohibited.
- They receive a talent passport - a residence permit for a foreigner who has made a significant contribution to French culture, science, sports, etc.
- They will participate in the program of permanent residence for pensioners.
The main requirements for applicants to obtain a French permanent residence permit: availability of housing (own or rented), financial stability, command of the French language (at least at a conversational level), no criminal record.
Prospects for obtaining French citizenship
It is quite possible for a Ukrainian to become a French citizen. According to French legislation, foreigners can obtain a passport of the country on the basis of:
- origin - if at least one parent is a French citizen;
- birth - children born on the territory of France can apply for citizenship after the age of 16 and on the condition of permanent residence on the territory of the country for at least 5 years;
- marriage with a citizen of France - a permanent residence permit is issued first, and after 4 years of living together, you can apply for citizenship;
- service in the French Foreign Legion;
- by naturalization – after 5 years of legal residence in the country and subject to integration into French society.
You can find out about the required package of documents, contacts of institutions, terms and procedures for obtaining a long-term visa, a permanent residence permit or French citizenship on the Visit World service platform.
Our products and cooperation:
Visit Ukraine Tours is the largest online database of tours in Ukraine for every taste;
Visit Ukraine Merch - patriotic clothing and accessories with worldwide delivery;
Visit Ukraine Tickets - book airline tickets to anywhere in the world, as well as bus and train tickets;
Cooperation – cooperation and advertising integrations with the Visit Ukraine and Visit World projects.
1 minWay to Victory
It is not for nothing that they say that a friend in need is a friend. The war has shown who has become a true friend and helper for Ukraine. Many countries continue to provide us with the necessary assistance and support. Here's who and how has been supporting Ukraine for more than a year of the full-scale invasion
24 Feb. 2023More details
The Cabinet of Ministers has supported easing the terms of consumer loan repayment for IDPs. Find out more about the new conditions and who will be able to count on them
2 minCost of living
The outbreak of the war forced many Ukrainian citizens to settle abroad. As a result, the demand for housing in various EU countries has increased. Find out more about where you can buy the cheapest housing and the difficulties of buying real estate abroad for Ukrainians
From the beginning of Ukraine's struggle for freedom to the present day, the whole world has realized that Ukraine is a sovereign and independent state. In 2022, the most popular descriptions of our country were "nation of heroes" and "democratic country". Find out more about the percentage of attention the world paid to Ukraine
The simultaneous stay of visitors in the hotel lobby not more than one person per 10 square meters of serviceable area is allowed.
Persons can visit hotels and stay there (outside hotel room) only if they wear respirator or face mask (including homemade mask), so that the nose and mouth are covered.
Hotel guests are obliged to keep the 1.5 meters distance.
Online check-in making in advance is recommended to avoid queues at check-in to hotel.
Meals in hotels are provided through meals delivery service to rooms upon prior order or at hotel restaurants situated inside or in open areas, provided the distance of at least 1.5 meters between seats at adjacent tables.
Not more than 4 clients are allowed to stay at the table (excluding children under 14 years old). Unless these tables are separated by a special partition;
Self-serve is not allowed.