Ukraine in Cannes: why participation in the film festival is important
Today, Ukraine's participation in the Cannes Film Festival is not only a way to popularize Ukrainian cinema, but also an opportunity to remind the world of the horrific crimes committed by russia. Find out what films Ukraine presented this year and what statements Ukrainian representatives made in Cannes
The 76th Cannes Film Festival began with a poem by Ukrainian poet Lesya Ukrainka, read by French actress Catherine Deneuve in her native language. In her speech, the legendary film actress said that the events in Ukraine could not leave her aside, and her heart ached for the Ukrainian people. The audience responded to Catherine's statement with a standing ovation.
Why is participation in the Cannes Film Festival important for Ukraine?
This year, Ukraine has an important mission at the Cannes Film Festival, as not only the development of the Ukrainian film industry is in the balance, but also the possibility of stopping further cooperation between global distributors and the terrorist country.
Thus, the Ukrainian Union of Cinematographers published an open letter calling on the participants of the Cannes Film Festival to stop cooperating with russia. The reason is that foreign films, including those from A24, Lionsgate, STX International, FilmNation and Pate, are still being released in russia.
The Ukrainian delegation also opened two panel discussions:
● on measures that will contribute to the isolation of the russian film industry. A number of issues are urgent, from participation in the financing of international terrorism to box office receipts in russia;
● and the development of the Ukrainian film industry during the war. The available opportunities and the risks posed by russia's armed aggression were discussed.
Other important events include:
● The "Canned Next" event, which discussed issues related to the development and support of Ukrainian cinema;
● "The Women at War in Ukraine" project, which emphasized the role of Ukrainian women amidst the horrific war;
● A pitching session to find investors called "Ukraine in Focus", with world leaders in the film industry as partners. The pitching involves 10 Ukrainian film projects that are currently in development.
Visit Ukraine on social media: Telegram | YouTube | Instagram | Facebook | Twitter | TikTok
What films did Ukraine present at the Cannes Film Festival?
This year, Ukraine will be represented in two programs: Cannes Docs and Producers Network.
Thus, two documentaries are participating in Cannes Docs (Spotlighted Projects section): "The Silent Flood" by Dmytro Sukholytkyi-Sobchuk and "Dad's Lullaby" by Lesya Dyak.
The Producers Network program includes 5 Ukrainian producers:
● EF Pictures, Zlata Efimenko;
● Tabor Production, Karina Kostina;
● Babylon'13, by Andriy Kotlyar;
● EvosFilm, Olga Matat;
● Toy Cinema by Dmytro Sukhanov.
In addition, the festival program will feature two films about Ukraine:
● The premiere of the documentary film "From Where to Where", which reveals all the pains of evacuated refugees from Ukraine. France and Poland took part in the creation of the film together with Ukraine, and the main director is Maciek Hamela from Poland.
● The long-awaited debut of the short film "How It Was", which aims to show how Ukrainians returned home for the first time after the start of the full-scale invasion. The film is directed by Ukrainian Anastasia Solonevych and Polish Damiana Kotsyura.
So, we hope that the Ukrainian delegation will be able to convince the world's independent distributors that it is necessary to stop cooperation with russia. After all, back in November 2022, russia was declared a state sponsor of terrorism, and therefore any partnership with it sponsors aggression on the territory of Ukraine.
We remind you! Unfortunately, before the full-scale invasion, most people in the world knew almost nothing about Ukraine as an independent state, and some even considered it an appendage of russia. Read how the world's attitude towards Ukraine has changed in our previous article.
You may be interested in:
Visit Ukraine Donation - make a good deed and an important contribution to the Victory of Ukraine;
Visit Ukraine Tours - the largest online database of tours to Ukraine for every taste;
Visit Ukraine Merch - choose patriotic clothing and accessories with worldwide delivery;
Visit Ukraine News - get the latest news and updates in our Telegram channel;
Cooperation - cooperation and advertising integrations with Visit Ukraine and Visit World projects.
Star Wars: how Kyiv lives under constant shelling
Recently, rocket attacks on Kyiv and the region have been taking place almost daily. Find out more about how Kyiv residents live during enemy attacks
20 May. 2023More details
The Ukrainian army's counter-offensive has not yet begun, and russia is already facing its consequences: what is putin afraid of?
Drone explosions over the kremlin, a black day for russian aviation, and wagner mercenaries aggressively turning against their own. All these facts are observed in the russian army on the eve of the Ukrainian counter-offensive. Find out more about what other problems the kremlin is facing in anticipation of the Ukrainian attack
20 May. 2023More details
Where to go on vacation in Ukraine: the best places for relaxation
Spring is the best time to travel and relax with friends or family. Find out more about the incredible places in Ukraine where you should go to recuperate
21 May. 2023More details
How did Kharkiv live during the war and what do you need to know about the atmosphere in the city today
Kharkiv has been under constant attack from the first day of russia's full-scale invasion of Ukraine. In total, the region has heard the sound of a siren warning of a missile threat 2124 times during the war. Find out how the eastern capital of Ukraine lives in the conditions of war
21 May. 2023More details
The simultaneous stay of visitors in the hotel lobby not more than one person per 10 square meters of serviceable area is allowed.
Persons can visit hotels and stay there (outside hotel room) only if they wear respirator or face mask (including homemade mask), so that the nose and mouth are covered.
Hotel guests are obliged to keep the 1.5 meters distance.
Online check-in making in advance is recommended to avoid queues at check-in to hotel.
Meals in hotels are provided through meals delivery service to rooms upon prior order or at hotel restaurants situated inside or in open areas, provided the distance of at least 1.5 meters between seats at adjacent tables.
Not more than 4 clients are allowed to stay at the table (excluding children under 14 years old). Unless these tables are separated by a special partition;
Self-serve is not allowed.