15 most profitable tourist destinations in the world: updated rating
Switch On Business experts have analyzed more than 150 of the world's most famous attractions to identify the most popular ones. Find out which tourist locations attract the most attention among tourists and are the most profitable
Every country has many tourist destinations and cultural attractions that attract tourists from all over the world and bring in a lot of money for tourism business owners. Switch On Business experts have analyzed more than 150 famous attractions and presented a rating of the world's most popular places that receive the most visitors and are the most profitable for the tourism business.
It is worth noting that tourism plays an important role in the economy of every country, as tourist locations not only generate income but also create jobs. In addition, even if the entrance to a place of interest is free, tourists still have to rent accommodation nearby, eat in local restaurants, and buy food in stores.
If you are planning a vacation or trip, we recommend purchasing tickets through the convenient Visit Ukraine service. Here you can view the schedule and choose tickets for a convenient date and time for buses, trains, and planes between cities around the world.
Find the cheapest countries to live in in 2023 here.
Attractions that attract the most attention around the world
According to the analysis, the Burj Khalifa in Dubai is the most popular attraction in the world, with about 22 million Google searches and about 17 million visitors annually.
The height of the Burj Khalifa reaches 828 meters, which is three times higher than the Eiffel Tower, which, by the way, took 5th place in the global ranking.
The second place is taken by the main attraction of India - the Taj Mahal. This unique palace is made of ivory marble. Thus, about 7.5 million people visit this place annually. At the same time, just under 22 million people in the world google the Taj Mahal on the Internet.
Photo: Hindustan Times
The third place is taken by Niagara Falls, located in the United States of America, on the border of New York and Ontario, Canada. About 13 million visitors come here every year. However, only about 1.2 million people search for the famous waterfall on Google.
● 4th place - Golden Gate Bridge in San Francisco, USA - 17.3 million visitors annually, 5.4 million searches;
● 5th place - Eiffel Tower, France - about 5.8 million visitors and more than 14 million searches;
● 6th place - Machu Picchu, Peru - 1.5 million visitors and 18 million searches;
● 7th place - Sagrada Familia, Spain - 4.5 million visitors and 12 million Google searches;
● 8th place - Statue of Liberty, USA - more than 4.4 million visitors and 12 million searches;
● 9th place - Big Ben, UK - almost 6 million visitors and about 10 million Google searches;
● 10th place - Great Wall of China, China - 10 million visitors and 5.4 million searches;
● 11th place - Stonehenge, United Kingdom - 97 thousand visitors and 12 million Google searches;
● 12th place - Buckingham Palace, United Kingdom - 50 thousand visitors, 12 million searches on the Internet;
● 13th place - Everest, Tibet/Nepal - 35 thousand visitors and 12 million searches;
● 14th place - Mont Saint-Michel, France - 3 million visitors and slightly more than 8 million searches;
● 15th place - Hagia Sophia, Turkey - 6.5 million visitors and almost 4.5 million searches on Google.
The most famous landmarks in the United States
Experts have separately analyzed the most visited places in the United States and formed a separate rating for the most popular tourist locations in America.
1. Walt Disney World, Florida - 58 million visitors per year and just under 5 million Google searches (Experts estimate that Walt Disney World's estimated annual revenue is at least $4 billion, including the cost of the entrance ticket alone);
2. Mall of America, Minnesota - about 40 million tourists and more than 6.8 million searches;
3. Grand Canyon, Arizona - 6 million visitors, more than 7 million searches;
4. Statue of Liberty, New York - more than 5 million tourists and almost 4.5 million searches;
5. Pearl Harbor, Hawaii - 1.8 million visitors, almost 5 million searches;
6. Hoover Dam, Nevada - 7 million tourists, more than 3.7 million requests;
7. Graceland, Tennessee - 500 thousand visitors, almost 4 million requests;
8. Bean, Illinois - 25 million tourists, slightly less than 500 thousand requests;
9. Mount Rushmore, South Dakota - 2 million visitors, more than 3 million requests;
10. Golden Gate Bridge, California - 10 million tourists, almost 2 million requests;
11. Route 66, Oklahoma (museum) - 25 thousand visitors, almost 2.5 million searches;
12. The Alamo, Texas - 2.5 million tourists, more than 2 million requests;
13. Crater Lake, Oregon - 500 thousand visitors, more than 1.8 million searches;
14. Mount Vernon, Virginia - 1 million tourists, more than 1.7 million requests;
15. Churchill Downs, Kentucky - 150 thousand visitors, more than 1.3 million searches.
We would like to remind you that despite the full-scale invasion of russia, foreign tourists continue to travel to Ukraine. We talked to foreigners who visited Ukraine during the war and found out what motivates them to travel to Ukraine in wartime, which cities they choose, and what they remember and are most impressed by. Read the answers to all these questions in the interview here.
You may be interested in:
Visit Ukraine Donation - make a good deed and an important contribution to the Victory of Ukraine;
Visit Ukraine Legal advice - comprehensive legal support on entry to Ukraine;
Visit Ukraine Tours - the largest online database of tours to Ukraine for every taste;
Visit Ukraine Merch - choose patriotic clothing and accessories with worldwide delivery;
Visit Ukraine News - get the latest news and updates in our Telegram channel;
Cooperation - cooperation and advertising integrations with Visit Ukraine and Visit World projects.
The US Department of Defense has described the tactics of the Ukrainian offensive as a miracle, while ISW reports significant successes in certain parts of the frontline. Find out why the Ukrainian army has once again shocked the West and how the Ukrainian counteroffensive is progressing
14 Aug. 2023More details
Forest fires in Europe can really affect the tourism industry. Find out how intense natural disasters affect the tourism situation in popular EU countries
14 Aug. 2023More details
On August 24, the day of the 32nd anniversary of Ukraine's Independence, Ukrainians and citizens of other countries are encouraged to take to the central streets of their cities and hold hands. Find out how to join the Free World Gathering initiative in your country of residence
15 Aug. 2023More details
1 minWay to Victory
Supporting the army with donations during the war is crucial to ensure its operations and support for Ukraine's defenders. Find out how to support our heroes
15 Aug. 2023More details
The simultaneous stay of visitors in the hotel lobby not more than one person per 10 square meters of serviceable area is allowed.
Persons can visit hotels and stay there (outside hotel room) only if they wear respirator or face mask (including homemade mask), so that the nose and mouth are covered.
Hotel guests are obliged to keep the 1.5 meters distance.
Online check-in making in advance is recommended to avoid queues at check-in to hotel.
Meals in hotels are provided through meals delivery service to rooms upon prior order or at hotel restaurants situated inside or in open areas, provided the distance of at least 1.5 meters between seats at adjacent tables.
Not more than 4 clients are allowed to stay at the table (excluding children under 14 years old). Unless these tables are separated by a special partition;
Self-serve is not allowed.