How to get to Ukraine from Slovenia: convenient routes and useful tips
Ukraine's airspace is still closed, so to make your trip comfortable and fast, you need to plan your route in advance. Find out how easy it is to get to Ukraine from Slovenia and what you need to cross the Ukrainian border
Traveling to Ukraine under martial law has certain peculiarities: the country's airspace is closed, so it is impossible to get to Ukraine by plane. However, land borders are operating as usual.
How to plan a trip to Ukraine from Slovenia? We have prepared the most convenient routes and many useful tips for you.
Travel route from Slovenia to Ukraine
Undoubtedly, the plane is the fastest and most convenient mode of transport, therefore, in order to save time during a trip to Ukraine, many foreigners arrive at one of the European airports located near the Ukrainian border, and then go to Ukraine by ground transport.
Ukraine borders the following European countries - Poland, Slovakia, Hungary, Romania and Moldova. How to get here from Slovenia?
Flight to the Ukrainian border
● Slovenia – Poland
LOT Polish Airlines operates a direct flight from Ljubljana to Warsaw. The price of the ticket starts from 150 euros. Departure from Ljubljana airport at 17:10. Travel time – 1 hour 35 minutes. You can also get to Lublin, Krakow and Wroclaw with a transfer. Travel time from 4 hours. Approximate ticket price from 200 euros.
● Slovenia – Moldova
You can get from Slovenia to Chisinau only with a transfer. The route through Istanbul operated by Turkish Airlines is quite popular. Travel time is 5 hours. Estimated departure time is 08:55. The price of the ticket is 350 euros.
The Ljubljana - Venice - Chisinau route is also convenient. You can get to the Italian airport from Slovenia by bus (distance - 250 km, travel time - 3-4 hours). There is a direct flight from Venice to Chisinau, departure at 15:15, travel time - 2 hours, ticket price - 130 euros.
● Slovenia – Slovakia
The flight between Ljubljana and Bratislava is operated by the Hungarian low-cost carrier WizzAir with a stopover in Skopje. Travel time from 5 hours 30 minutes. The approximate cost of the ticket is 150 euros.
● Belgium – Romania
The air carrier AirSerbia operates a flight on the route Ljubljana - Bucharest with a transfer in Belgrade. The departure time is 10:20, the duration of the trip is about 5 hours. The price of the ticket is from 200 euros.
After arriving in one of the European cities, the journey to Ukraine can be continued by train or bus.
Railway connection Europe - Ukraine
Most of the tourists prefer the railway because of its speed and comfort. Ukraine is connected to European cities by the following trains:
● Poland - from Warsaw you can reach Kyiv, from Przemyśl - to Kyiv, Odesa and Zaporizhzhia, from Chelm - to Kyiv and Kharkiv.
● Hungary - there is a direct train from Budapest to Kyiv.
● Austria - a direct train goes from Vienna to Kyiv.
● Moldova - a direct train goes from Chisinau to Kyiv.
● Slovakia - from Kosice you can reach Chopa and Mukachevo.
See the link for a detailed schedule of trains running between Ukraine and European countries.
By train from Slovenia to Ukraine
You can plan your trip from Slovenia to Ukraine exclusively by rail. The route will consist of several parts and you will need several tickets.
Ljubljana (Slovenia) - Gyor (Hungary) - Kyiv (Ukraine)
1. Travel from Ljubljana to Gyor on a direct train that departs Slovenia at 05:05 and arrives in the Hungarian city of Gyor at 12:19. Travel time is 7 hours. The ticket costs about 25 euros.
2. He will continue his journey by train Vienna-Kyiv, which stops at Gyor station at 17:53. The train route passes through Chop, Mukachevo and Lviv. The train will arrive in Kyiv at 16:12 the next day. Travel time is about 21 hours. The price of the ticket is 60 euros.
3. You can also use the same principle to travel along the route - Ljubljana (Slovenia) - Vienna (Austria) - Kyiv (Ukraine). Travel time is about 30 hours. The price of the ticket is from 120 euros.
By bus from Slovenia to Ukraine
A fairly convenient and economical way to get from Slovenia to Ukraine is by bus, the journey will take about 29 hours and will cost 80-120 euros. You can get from Ljubljana to Kyiv with a transfer in Vienna. The flight on the Vienna-Kyiv route is operated by the bus carrier EuroClub, which offers comfortable passenger buses for the trip. The salon is equipped with soft seats, a toilet and an automatic climate control system, a large luggage compartment, Wi-Fi, which allows you to travel comfortably.
How to buy a ticket from Slovenia to Ukraine?
To make the trip easy and positive, you should choose reliable carriers. See the schedule and book plane, train or bus tickets using the link.
From Slovenia to Ukraine by own car
The distance from the capital of Slovenia - Ljubljana to Lviv is 1100 km, and the duration of the trip in your own car - 12 hours without stops. The journey to Kyiv will be longer by 6 hours or 550 kilometers. You need to go through Hungary or through Austria, Hungary and Poland.
How can a Ukrainian leave Slovenia without losing protection?
Every Ukrainian who has received the status of temporary protection and a corresponding permit for stay in Slovenia can travel to Ukraine without hindrance. Before leaving, make sure that your residence permit is still valid, and if necessary, apply for an extension.
The residence permit in Slovenia is canceled for those Ukrainians who have been outside the country for more than 6 months.
You can also travel to EU countries on the basis of visa-free rules. For this, it is necessary to have a biometric passport and stay in the territory of the Schengen zone for no more than 90 days during a 180-day period.
How can a citizen of Slovenia enter Ukraine?
Citizens of Slovenia have the right to enter Ukraine without a visa if the planned stay is less than 90 days, and the purpose of the trip is tourism, visiting relatives or other short-term trips. It is prohibited to work and study without a visa.
Entry is carried out on the basis of a foreign passport, which must be valid for at least 6 months after the date of entry into Ukraine. In addition, at the border it is necessary to provide:
● A document that will confirm the purpose of the trip to Ukraine - a tourist voucher, tickets to seminars, exhibitions, fairs, invitations from companies and organizations.
● Confirmation of residence – hotel reservations, apartment rental contracts, etc.
● Confirmation of sufficient funds for stay in Ukraine ($45 per person for each day of stay in Ukraine).
When crossing the border, you no longer need to provide proof of vaccination against COVID-19 and wear a protective mask. As of July 1, all Covid-19 restrictions and quarantine measures have been canceled in Ukraine.
How to plan a trip to Ukraine?
Undoubtedly, a trip to Ukraine has certain characteristics, so we have prepared for you some useful tips that will help you prepare for the trip:
1. If you are going to Ukraine for the purpose of tourism, you should start planning by looking for an interesting tour. The largest database of safe tours in Ukraine by link.
2. Comfort during the journey can provide a certain arsenal of things. Find out what to take with you on a train or plane here.
3. When traveling through Ukraine under martial law, safety rules must be strictly observed.
4. It is also worth taking care of an insurance policy that covers indemnification of war-related risks: damages in the event of an accident due to hostilities or acts of terrorism, outpatient treatment, hospitalization and emergency care. Read more about the benefits of the policy here.
5. If you arrived by train or bus, rent a car in Ukraine to feel more mobile. Read how to do it in our material.
6. Book a safe hotel. Ukraine has a very wide base of accommodation facilities. During vacation, a tourist can stay in a hotel with different stars, a hostel, rent an apartment or rest in a guest house.
7. If you plan to stay in Ukraine for more than 90 days, you must obtain a residence permit. The procedure for obtaining a residence permit in Ukraine consists of several stages and requires the preparation of a certain list of documents. A migration lawyer will help you understand all the intricacies of Ukrainian legislation. Order a consultation of highly qualified specialists using the link. Also, consult a lawyer if your rights have been violated.
8. Here are the top most common mistakes travelers make when planning a trip to Ukraine.
We wish you a good trip!
We recommend purchasing it for a safe and comfortable trip to Ukraine:
Visit Ukraine Insurance - safe travel in Ukraine (insurance covering military risks);
Visit Ukraine Tickets - book bus and train tickets to/from Ukraine;
Visit Ukraine Tours - the largest online database of tours to Ukraine for every taste;
Visit Ukraine Hotels - book hotels for a comfortable stay in Ukraine;
Visit Ukraine Merch - choose patriotic clothing and accessories with worldwide delivery.
Cooperation - cooperation and advertising integrations with Visit Ukraine and Visit World projects.
The Carpathians are the heart of our country, attracting travellers every day with majestic views and the true spirit of Ukrainian freedom. Find out more about what you need to take with you when travelling in the mountains and other useful tips for tourists
26 Aug. 2023More details
As a rule, traveling in Europe by air is much cheaper than traveling by train, but there are exceptions. Find out on which popular routes a train ticket is much cheaper than a flight
27 Aug. 2023More details
Portuguese citizens can enter Ukraine on a visa-free basis, but there are exceptions. Find out when foreigners need to apply for a visa to cross the Ukrainian border
27 Aug. 2023More details
On August 25, three pilots, including a well-known Ukrainian fighter pilot with the call sign Juice, were killed in a collision between two planes. Learn more about the defenders of Ukrainian skies who laid down their lives for Ukraine's independence
28 Aug. 2023More details
The simultaneous stay of visitors in the hotel lobby not more than one person per 10 square meters of serviceable area is allowed.
Persons can visit hotels and stay there (outside hotel room) only if they wear respirator or face mask (including homemade mask), so that the nose and mouth are covered.
Hotel guests are obliged to keep the 1.5 meters distance.
Online check-in making in advance is recommended to avoid queues at check-in to hotel.
Meals in hotels are provided through meals delivery service to rooms upon prior order or at hotel restaurants situated inside or in open areas, provided the distance of at least 1.5 meters between seats at adjacent tables.
Not more than 4 clients are allowed to stay at the table (excluding children under 14 years old). Unless these tables are separated by a special partition;
Self-serve is not allowed.