How to get compensation after an accident if the at-fault driver does not have a motor vehicle liability insurance policy: step-by-step instructions
Obtaining compensation after an accident when the culprit does not have a motor vehicle liability insurance policy can be a difficult task, but there are certain steps that can help you get paid. Find out more about the correct algorithm of actions in such a situation
Ukraine has an established system of compulsory motor insurance, which provides for compensation for damages resulting from an accident at the expense of the culprit's motor vehicle insurance policy. However, if the culprit does not have an up-to-date policy, this can create problems for the victim.
Here's how to deal with the consequences of an accident when the culprit does not have a motor vehicle liability policy.
Algorithm of actions if the culprit does not have a motor vehicle liability policy
1. Call the police: Even in the case of a minor accident, you should call the police to get an official accident report. This document will be a key piece of evidence in the subsequent resolution of the case.
Please note! In this situation, you cannot use the Europrotocol, as it is provided only for cases when both participants have motor vehicle liability insurance policies.
2. Fixing the scene of the accident: Before the police arrive, the victim can take photos and videos of the incident to have additional evidence. It is important not to move the cars from the accident scene until the police arrive.
3. Contact the Motor Transport Bureau of Ukraine (MTBU): If the culprit of the accident does not have an insurance policy, the MTBU provides compensation to the victim. Compensation is paid from a centralized insurance reserve fund to protect victims. After receiving a report from the police, the victim must contact the MTBU by sending a notification. This can now be done online through the appropriate form. The victim will receive an email notification with a link to their personal account where they can check the status of the case.
4. Inspection of the car by an MTIBU representative: The victim is prohibited from repairing the car until it is inspected by an MTIBU expert. Otherwise, there are risks of refusal to compensate for damages.
It is also important to note that some categories of drivers are entitled to not have a motor third party liability policy if it is provided for by law. These include:
- persons with disabilities caused by war;
- affected participants of the Revolution of Dignity;
- participants of military operations;
- persons with disabilities of the first group and drivers whose cars belong to a person with a disability of the first group.
What to do in case of an accident abroad?
To travel safely and without unnecessary worries, you need to make sure you have a Green Card. This is the necessary insurance to drive your own car outside Ukraine for a safe trip.
The corresponding insurance policy is an analog of a car insurance policy that covers the driver's liability in the event of an accident abroad. The Green Card is a part of the international insurance system, so the driver is obliged to take out a policy to travel to the member states of the agreement.
It should be noted that the EU countries bordering Ukraine are members of the Green Card agreement. In total, Green Card is required in 45 countries (see the list on the MTIBU website).
Please note! You do not need to buy several policies to travel in different countries that are members of the insurance system.
What does the Green Card cover?
First of all, it should be noted that the payment of compensation is governed by the laws of the country where the accident occurred.
The Green Card provides coverage for damage caused to third parties in an accident. In other words, the insurance company will pay for car repairs or treatment of the victims.
It takes a few minutes to apply for an insurance policy. You can do it easily and simply by following the link.
Find out what documents are required and what coverage is provided under the Green Card here.
We wish you a pleasant trip!
Want to know more? Read the latest news and useful materials about Ukraine and the world in the News section.
Our recommendation for a safe and comfortable trip:
Visit Ukraine Insurance - insurance for a safe stay abroad without unnecessary expenses;
Green Card - compulsory car insurance for traveling abroad;
Visit Ukraine Tickets - book tickets for buses, trains, and airplanes to/from Ukraine and between cities around the world;
Private Lawyer service - professional legal support on visa and migration issues;
Visit Ukraine Merch - buy patriotic clothing and accessories with worldwide delivery.
© 2018-2023, Visit Ukraine. Use, copying or reprinting of materials on this site is permitted only with a link (hyperlink for online publications) to Visit Ukraine.
All rights reserved.
Another Czech carrier has opened the sale of single tickets for passengers traveling from the Czech Republic to Ukraine. Find out how to travel to Kiev and other Ukrainian cities with a connection in Peremyshl by buying a single train ticket
05 Nov. 2023More details
On November 6, Polish carriers began blockading the border crossing points with Ukraine. Find out where traffic is being hampered and how best to plan your route to/from Ukraine today
Despite the fact that the law prohibits elections during wartime and the Ukrainian people themselves are against such measures, elections in Ukraine are being discussed almost all over the world. Find out if elections are possible in the spring of 2024 and whether Zelenskyy will become president for the second time
Globalization and access to the international market offer construction companies competitive advantages. However, along with opportunities, there are also certain obstacles. Anton Taranenko, CEO of ANTA Group, an international developer with more than 10 years of experience in the real estate market, spoke in detail about the main trends in the global construction industry and shared the benefits of investing in construction abroad
The simultaneous stay of visitors in the hotel lobby not more than one person per 10 square meters of serviceable area is allowed.
Persons can visit hotels and stay there (outside hotel room) only if they wear respirator or face mask (including homemade mask), so that the nose and mouth are covered.
Hotel guests are obliged to keep the 1.5 meters distance.
Online check-in making in advance is recommended to avoid queues at check-in to hotel.
Meals in hotels are provided through meals delivery service to rooms upon prior order or at hotel restaurants situated inside or in open areas, provided the distance of at least 1.5 meters between seats at adjacent tables.
Not more than 4 clients are allowed to stay at the table (excluding children under 14 years old). Unless these tables are separated by a special partition;
Self-serve is not allowed.