How to obtain an immigration permit to Ukraine after the expiration of a contract with the AFU?
Foreigners who have joined the Armed Forces of Ukraine have the right to immigrate to Ukraine after the expiration of their contract. Find out what is required to obtain a permanent residence permit in Ukraine after serving in the Armed Forces of Ukraine and how to apply for immigration
According to Ukrainian law, foreign citizens/stateless persons who have signed a contract with the Armed Forces of Ukraine and participate in the defense of the state have the right to stay in Ukraine legally. Thus, a contract with the Armed Forces of Ukraine/military card is the basis for a legal long-term stay in Ukraine. However, after the expiration of the contract with the Armed Forces of Ukraine, a foreigner must have legal grounds and obtain a residence permit to stay in Ukraine.
To apply for membership in the International Legion, please visit https://ildu.com.ua/.
What are the options for foreigners after the expiration of their contract with the Armed Forces?
In general, foreign nationals/stateless persons can extend their contract with the Armed Forces of Ukraine after its expiration and, accordingly, continue to serve in the Armed Forces, which is a direct way to obtain Ukrainian citizenship. Or they can apply for immigration to Ukraine.
Thus, in accordance with part two of Article 4 of the Law of Ukraine "On Migration", a quota migration permit may be granted to persons specified in paragraphs 9 and 10:
– persons who have served in the Armed Forces of Ukraine, the State Special Transport Service, the National Guard of Ukraine for three or more years;
– persons who have served in the Armed Forces of Ukraine, the State Special Transport Service and the National Guard of Ukraine (regardless of the period of military service) and were recognized by military medical commissions as unfit for military service for health reasons as a result of diseases, injuries (traumas, contusions, mutilations) received during the performance of military service.
How to obtain an immigration permit to Ukraine after the expiration of a contract with the Armed Forces of Ukraine?
1. Collect the necessary documents.
2. Apply to the territorial unit of the State Migration Service of Ukraine at the place of residence.
3. After consideration of the application, receive a decision.
An applicant can submit an application for an immigration permit and the required package of documents in person or through a legal representative.
The cost of the service is UAH 179.79 + administrative fee (in the amount of 0.5 of the subsistence minimum established for able-bodied persons as of January 1 of the calendar year) - in 2023, this is UAH 1342.00.
Documents required to obtain an immigration permit to Ukraine
1. Application (to be submitted electronically when submitting documents).
2. Valid passport document(s) (for citizens with multiple citizenship) or a stateless person's identity document and a copy of the relevant documents (the original is returned upon presentation).
3. A legally certified translation of the passport document/s or statelessness document into Ukrainian.
4. Three 3.5 x 4.5 cm photographs.
5. Document on the person's place of residence abroad and in Ukraine: original and copy (ownership document/state registration certificate/lease agreement + written consent to the foreigner's stay from all adult persons registered in such housing).
6. Information on family composition and marriage certificate (if any).
7. A document confirming the absence of chronic alcoholism, substance abuse, drug addiction, or infectious diseases, the list of which is determined by the central executive body on health care.
8. Certificate of no criminal record (issued by the competent authority of the state of previous residence or its diplomatic mission in Ukraine).
9. For persons referred to in paragraph 9 of part two of Article 4 of the Law of Ukraine "On Migration": originals (returned upon presentation) and copies of documents confirming the fact of military service in the Armed Forces of Ukraine, the State Special Transport Service, the National Guard of Ukraine.
10. For persons referred to in paragraph 10 of part two of Article 4 of the Law of Ukraine "On Migration": documents confirming the fact of military service in the Armed Forces of Ukraine, the State Special Transport Service, the National Guard of Ukraine, and the conclusion (resolution) of the military medical commission on the recognition of a person unfit for military service for health reasons as a result of diseases, wounds (injuries, contusions, mutilations) received during the performance of military service.
11. Receipt of payment of the administrative service fee.
Please note! The website of the State Migration Service of Ukraine emphasizes that if an application for an immigration permit is submitted within 30 days from the date of the decision to terminate Ukrainian citizenship or cancel the decision to formalize the acquisition of Ukrainian citizenship by a foreigner or stateless person, the original (returned upon presentation) and a copy of such a decision must be submitted.
The application consideration period cannot exceed 6 months from the date of application submission.
After obtaining an immigration permit, the applicant must submit an application form for a permanent residence permit in Ukraine within one year from the date of issuance of the permit. This can be done in Ukraine or abroad.
If you need legal assistance or full support from a lawyer on the issues of entering Ukraine, the rules of border crossing and the documents required for this, the rules of staying in the country, obtaining an immigration permit or a residence permit in Ukraine, you can order a consultation with a qualified lawyer on migration issues on the Visit Ukraine website. Our experienced specialists can help you with any questions regarding entry and stay in Ukraine, as well as collecting the necessary documents.
We remind you! Every month a large number of foreigners wish to join the Foreign Legion. However, despite the fact that the procedure for joining has been simplified, foreigners continue to face a number of problems. Read how to avoid common difficulties and what are the most common reasons for rejection in our previous article.
Want to know more? Read the latest news and useful materials about Ukraine and the world in the News section.
You may be interested in:
Visit Ukraine Donation - make a good deed and an important contribution to the Victory of Ukraine;
Visit Ukraine Legal advice - comprehensive legal support on entry to Ukraine;
Visit Ukraine Tours - the largest online database of tours to Ukraine for every taste;
Visit Ukraine Merch - choose patriotic clothing and accessories with worldwide delivery;
Visit Ukraine News - get the latest news and updates in our Telegram channel;
Cooperation - cooperation and advertising integrations with Visit Ukraine and Visit World projects.
© 2018-2023, Visit Ukraine. Use, copying or reprinting of materials on this site is permitted only with a link (hyperlink for online publications) to Visit Ukraine.
All rights reserved.
3 minEntry rules
Ukrainians, foreign citizens and stateless persons can freely enter the territory of Ukraine during the war, but subject to certain restrictions. Find out all about the current rules for crossing the Ukrainian border and the documents required for this purpose
24 Oct. 2023More details
Every month a large number of foreigners apply to join the Foreign Legion. However, despite the fact that the application procedure has been simplified, foreigners continue to face a number of problems. Find out how to avoid common difficulties and what are the most common reasons for rejection
26 Oct. 2023More details
3 minFor foreigners in UA
Foreigners who have signed a contract with the Armed Forces of Ukraine have a legal right to stay in Ukraine. However, a number of conditions must be met in order to obtain a residence permit or to acquire Ukrainian citizenship. Find out all about the right to reside/acquire Ukrainian citizenship during service and after completion of a contract with the AFU
14 Nov. 2023More details
Paying for parking in Kyiv has become easier thanks to a number of convenient services that offer a quick and efficient solution to this issue. Find out more about how to use online payment and whether it is possible to do it directly at the parking lot
19 Nov. 2023More details
The simultaneous stay of visitors in the hotel lobby not more than one person per 10 square meters of serviceable area is allowed.
Persons can visit hotels and stay there (outside hotel room) only if they wear respirator or face mask (including homemade mask), so that the nose and mouth are covered.
Hotel guests are obliged to keep the 1.5 meters distance.
Online check-in making in advance is recommended to avoid queues at check-in to hotel.
Meals in hotels are provided through meals delivery service to rooms upon prior order or at hotel restaurants situated inside or in open areas, provided the distance of at least 1.5 meters between seats at adjacent tables.
Not more than 4 clients are allowed to stay at the table (excluding children under 14 years old). Unless these tables are separated by a special partition;
Self-serve is not allowed.