The status of a foreign Ukrainian: what is it, who can get it and what are its advantages
The document for persons of Ukrainian origin is called the “status of a foreign Ukrainian”. Find out what this document is and what benefits it has
In Ukraine, there is a special document for persons of Ukrainian origin - it is called “status of a foreign Ukrainian”. We tell you what kind of document it is and what its advantages are.
What is the "status of a foreign Ukrainian"?
A certificate issued by the National Commission to citizens of another state or stateless persons, as well as ethnic Ukrainians or persons of Ukrainian origin.
The certificate of a Ukrainian living abroad confirms the relevant status, but does not replace a passport. Such a document is issued for 10 years, with subsequent re-registration. It is worth noting that the status can be acquired only by persons who have already reached the age of 16 and are not citizens of Ukraine.
What advantages can a person with a foreign Ukrainian ID card count on?
- the possibility of obtaining higher education at the expense of the state budget of Ukraine within the limits of the established study quotas;
- the right to obtain a free multiple-entry visa for visiting Ukraine without providing a corresponding invitation valid for 5 years (for citizens of countries with which Ukraine has a visa regime);
- the possibility to immigrate to Ukraine for permanent residence, subject to obtaining an immigration permit for permanent residence outside the immigration quotas in accordance with the procedure established by law.
It is worth noting that, being in Ukraine on legal grounds, a Ukrainian abroad enjoys the same rights and freedoms, as well as bears the same obligations as a citizen of Ukraine, with the exception established by the Constitution, laws of Ukraine or international treaties, consent to the obligation the validity of which is granted by the Verkhovna Rada of Ukraine.
In addition, "status of a foreign Ukrainian" can enter Ukrainian universities at the expense of the state budget. This is done by:
- within the quotas established for the admission of foreign Ukrainians to study at higher education institutions of Ukraine of the MES system (in other higher education institutions (except for medical ones) in agreement with the ministries in whose management system such higher education institutions are located);
- admission to study within quotas for foreign Ukrainians is carried out based on the results of an interview on the subjects specified in the rules of admission to a higher educational institution;
- in accordance with the international agreement on cooperation in the field of education with the country of which the foreign Ukrainian is a citizen. The selection of foreign Ukrainians to study at Ukrainian universities is carried out by the relevant ministry of the country of permanent residence of the foreign Ukrainian;
- enrollment in studies is carried out on the basis of the direction of the Ministry of Education and Science of Ukraine.
How to get the "status of a foreign Ukrainian"?
Citizens who want to obtain a certificate of a foreign Ukrainian must submit a written application to the Ministry of Foreign Affairs or the representative office of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs in the territory of Ukraine. If you are abroad, the application must be submitted to a foreign diplomatic institution of Ukraine.
Documents required to acquire the status:
• a passport document or a document that replaces it;
• copies of documents certifying Ukrainian ethnic origin or origin from Ukraine (certificate or other documents on the birth of a person or his relatives, documents confirming the fact of a person's residence on the territory of Ukraine and, if necessary, other documents);
• two color photos measuring 30 x 40 mm;
• a receipt for payment by the applicant for services related to the registration and issuance of the certificate.
We will remind you! Newborn children can receive citizenship at the place of birth. How to apply for citizenship based on the birth of a child, read in our material.
Ukrainian vyshyvanka: the role of national clothing of Ukrainians in the global fashion industry
The national symbol of Ukrainians, a talisman and a real work of art. Learn more about vyshyvanka, its role in the world of fashion and famous connoisseurs of Ukrainian culture
21 Dec. 2022More details
Map of skating rinks and Christmas trees in Kyiv 2022: festive locations of the capital and other cities of Ukraine
A map of holiday locations was developed in Ukraine. Find out which cities still decided to install symbolic Christmas trees, what they will be like this year, and where the ice rinks were installed
22 Dec. 2022More details
Health insurance for Ukrainians: why is it needed, what are its advantages and features
Health insurance is currently voluntary in Ukraine, but it is widespread abroad. Find out what the main advantages of an insurance package are and what risks it covers
22 Dec. 2022More details
1 minFor refugees
Housing for Ukrainian refugees in Switzerland: the country's army allocates additional places
Switzerland continues to provide assistance to Ukrainians. The country's army has provided additional housing for refugees and military personnel for security. Learn more about the conditions for obtaining housing
23 Dec. 2022More details
The simultaneous stay of visitors in the hotel lobby not more than one person per 10 square meters of serviceable area is allowed.
Persons can visit hotels and stay there (outside hotel room) only if they wear respirator or face mask (including homemade mask), so that the nose and mouth are covered.
Hotel guests are obliged to keep the 1.5 meters distance.
Online check-in making in advance is recommended to avoid queues at check-in to hotel.
Meals in hotels are provided through meals delivery service to rooms upon prior order or at hotel restaurants situated inside or in open areas, provided the distance of at least 1.5 meters between seats at adjacent tables.
Not more than 4 clients are allowed to stay at the table (excluding children under 14 years old). Unless these tables are separated by a special partition;
Self-serve is not allowed.