How to travel with pets by train: rules of transportation in Ukraine and abroad
To travel with your pet by train, both abroad and within Ukraine, you need to prepare a number of documents. Find out more, everything you need to know about the rules for transporting animals by rail
When planning a railroad trip abroad or within Ukraine with your pet, you need to prepare a list of necessary veterinary documents in advance and follow certain transportation rules. Ukrzaliznytsia has explained the current rules for the transportation of pets on trains.
Rules for the transportation of pets by train abroad and within Ukraine
Firstly, to travel with a four-legged friend, you need to buy a ticket. It can be purchased in the mobile application or at the ticket office.
The cost of a pet ticket is the same as the cost of a baggage ticket. If you did not purchase a document for your pet immediately with your ticket, you can buy it in the app without going to the ticket office.
What are the rules for traveling with pets on trains within Ukraine?
To transport an animal you need:
- Have a veterinary document for the animal.
- Purchase a transportation document for the animal.
Please note! The conditions for transporting an animal by rail depend on its size.
- If the animal is up to 45 cm in height at the withers, the pet should be carried in a carrier container in your arms or in a hand luggage seat.
- Large dogs over 45 cm at the withers can be transported only if all seats in the compartment are purchased, in a muzzle and on a leash (you must also buy a ticket for your pet).
What are the rules for traveling with pets by rail abroad?
- to travel outside of Ukraine, you must have an international veterinary passport.
- a valid international veterinary certificate of the animal's health status - it is issued by a veterinarian of the State Service of Ukraine for Food Safety and Consumer Protection at the state border;
- when traveling to Poland, the Czech Republic, Slovakia and Moldova, small animals can be transported on all trains without buying seats;
- when traveling to Hungary, Austria and Romania - animals up to 45 cm tall can travel with their owners in a carrier container, and a separate ticket must be purchased for the animal;
- large dogs are transported in a muzzle on a rigid leash and subject to the purchase of all seats in the train compartment.
Important! Additional documents and requirements may be required to transport animals to some countries.
To travel from Ukraine to some countries, you may also need to have:
- a microchip on the animal;
- current rabies vaccination;
- current results of a serological test to determine antibodies to the rabies pathogen;
- a document that the animal is not of breeding value;
- certificate of compliance of the animal container with IATA standards;
- VET-1 certificate;
- other documents.
The full list can be found here.
To clarify information before traveling, UZ recommends contacting the State Service of Ukraine for Food Safety and Consumer Protection.
We remind you! Despite the war, Ukrainians still find time for a well-deserved vacation. Not everyone can afford foreign tourism at the moment, but there are interesting vacation destinations in Ukraine. We will tell you more about them in this article.
Our recommendation for a safe and comfortable trip:
Visit Ukraine Insurance - insurance for a safe stay abroad without unnecessary expenses;
Green Card - compulsory car insurance for traveling abroad;
Visit Ukraine Tickets - book tickets for buses, trains, and airplanes to/from Ukraine and between cities around the world;
Private Lawyer service - professional legal support on visa and migration issues;
Visit Ukraine Merch - buy patriotic clothing and accessories with worldwide delivery.
Ukrainians staying in Valencia will now be able to apply for passport documents at the new Passport Service unit. Find out more about the opening hours and location of the new office
27 Apr. 2023More details
Ukrainian cuisine is recognized as one of the most delicious in the world. However, even among Ukrainian national dishes, there are some that continue to surprise foreigners. Find out more about the Ukrainian national dishes that foreigners do not understand
With the arrival of warmer weather, traveling by car is a great way to get new experiences and take a break from everyday life. Find out more about the top places in Ukraine that you should definitely visit
The USAID Competitive Economy Program announces the launch of a grant program for small and medium-sized women-owned and family-operated enterprises. Learn more about how to apply and receive funds
The simultaneous stay of visitors in the hotel lobby not more than one person per 10 square meters of serviceable area is allowed.
Persons can visit hotels and stay there (outside hotel room) only if they wear respirator or face mask (including homemade mask), so that the nose and mouth are covered.
Hotel guests are obliged to keep the 1.5 meters distance.
Online check-in making in advance is recommended to avoid queues at check-in to hotel.
Meals in hotels are provided through meals delivery service to rooms upon prior order or at hotel restaurants situated inside or in open areas, provided the distance of at least 1.5 meters between seats at adjacent tables.
Not more than 4 clients are allowed to stay at the table (excluding children under 14 years old). Unless these tables are separated by a special partition;
Self-serve is not allowed.