Visa application for entry to Ukraine for foreigners: list of documents, visa requirements and cost
To enter Ukraine, foreign citizens need to apply for a visa in accordance with the purpose of their trip. Find out more about the types of Ukrainian visas, how to confirm the purpose of your trip, and where to apply for a visa to enter Ukraine
The borders of Ukraine are open to foreigners. To enter, you must have the appropriate package of documents: a foreign passport, confirmation of the purpose of the trip, financial support and a visa (if the country does not have a visa-free regime). Crossing the border of Ukraine is carried out on the basis of a foreign passport. The ID card entitles only citizens of Turkey and Georgia to enter.
Visa requirements in Ukraine depend on the citizenship of a foreigner: a visa-free regime is established with some countries in Ukraine, citizens of the rest of the countries must obtain a visa for entry before traveling.
How and where can foreigners apply for a visa to enter Ukraine? We will tell in detail in this article.
Visa requirements in Ukraine
You can check whether you need a visa to enter Ukraine on the website of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Ukraine.
With EU countries, Japan, Kuwait, the USA, Uruguay, etc., Ukraine has a visa-free regime. Citizens of visa-free countries have the right to stay in Ukraine for up to 90 days within a 180-day period.
Entry on the basis of a visa
If you are a citizen of a country that does not have a visa-free regime, then to enter Ukraine you need to issue a visa of one of the types.
Types of Ukrainian visas
• Short-term visa (type C) – this visa is issued to foreigners whose stay does not exceed 90 days in the last 180 days. It can be issued for single, double or multiple entry. Type C visa is most often issued for tourism purposes, for business trips or private visits, medical treatment and media entry.
• Long-term visas to Ukraine are issued to foreigners who wish to enter Ukraine for temporary or permanent residence. The most common types of long-term visas to Ukraine are work, study and family. A long-term visa is issued for a period of up to 90 days, with the possibility of multiple entries. However, to get permission to stay in Ukraine longer than 90 days, you must obtain a residence permit upon arrival.
• Transit - this type of visa is issued to foreigners who intend to pass through the territory of Ukraine in transit during a trip to a third country. A transit visa to Ukraine can be issued as a one-time visa for a period of up to five days, as well as for a period of up to a year, as two or multiple entries, provided that each entry does not exceed 5 days.
List of documents for obtaining a visa to Ukraine
• Questionnaire for a visa to Ukraine.
• Foreign passport valid for at least 3 months after the trip to Ukraine.
• Two passport-sized photos - 35 mm x 45 mm.
• Travel medical insurance with coverage of at least 30,000 euros for the entire period of stay.
• Confirmation of the availability of sufficient funds for the entire period of stay: bank statements, payment information, etc.
• Confirmation of residence in Ukraine (hotel reservation).
• Return ticket from Ukraine.
• Confirmation of the paid fee for a visa to Ukraine.
• Additional documents confirming the purpose of your trip.
How to confirm the purpose of a trip to Ukraine?
Depending on the type of visa issued and the purpose of the trip, you can justify the trip with one of the following documents:
• Notarized invitation from citizens of Ukraine - relatives, acquaintances, friends, etc.
• Hotel reservations, apartment rental contracts.
• Tourist vouchers.
• Invitation to a seminar, tickets to exhibitions, fairs.
• Documents about treatment in medical institutions.
• Written confirmation of a meeting, conference, etc.
• Invitation to work.
• Invitations from companies and organizations.
• A document about studying at a university of Ukraine.
• Visa or tickets to a third country (to justify the purpose of the trip "transit to a third country").
Where can I get a visa to enter Ukraine?
An application for a Ukrainian visa must be submitted in the country of residence to one of the representative offices of Ukraine: an embassy, consulate or visa center.
How to apply for a visa to Ukraine?
1. Register and fill out the online questionnaire for a Ukrainian visa on the website of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Ukraine. You must indicate your nationality, purpose of travel and the country in which you can apply. It is here that you will receive information about which Ukrainian embassy, consulate or visa center in this country you can apply for.
2. Print the form. After you complete the form, you should print it so that you can submit it later.
3. Collect the necessary documents.
4. Pay the visa fee.
5. Submit the application and documents to the embassy, consulate of Ukraine or visa center.
Importantly! Contact the office where you plan to apply or visit the website for opening hours, reception times and preferred method of application. Not all Ukrainian diplomatic and visa agencies work in the same way. Some may require you to apply in person, while others may ask you to send your application by mail.
How long does it take to process a visa to Ukraine?
The duration of obtaining a Ukrainian visa is about 10 days. However, the processing time also depends on the embassy or consulate where you apply and may take longer in some cases. That is why experts advise applying 10-90 days before the planned travel date.
It is necessary to apply to the authorized body for the purpose of submitting documents for obtaining a visa no earlier than 3 months before the start of the planned trip.
How much does a visa to Ukraine cost?
The standard fee for issuing a Ukrainian visa is from $65, urgent - from $130. The visa fee for certain types of visas for applicants from certain countries may differ from the amount of the standard visa fee.
Visas for minors are issued free of charge.
Electronic eVisa to Ukraine
In January 2019, an electronic visa procedure was approved in Ukraine to simplify the process of applying for a Ukrainian visa. An electronic visa to Ukraine is issued completely online - there is no need to visit the Ukrainian embassy or consulate. Issued for a short-term stay of up to 30 days and with a one-time entry.
Purposes of the visit for which an electronic visa can be issued: tourism, business, private visit, treatment, journalism, attending cultural, sports, educational or scientific events.
Only citizens of countries from this list can issue an electronic visa.
The application for a Ukrainian electronic visa must be submitted at least 10 days before the planned trip to Ukraine.
The procedure for issuing an electronic visa is as follows.
Read about the main restrictions in Ukraine that apply under martial law at the link. How to prepare for a trip to Ukraine and the specifics of insurance for foreigners in wartime, we told earlier. Is it safe for foreign tourists to travel to Ukraine now? Read this article.
We recommend purchasing it for a safe and comfortable trip to Ukraine:
Visit Ukraine Insurance - safe travel in Ukraine (insurance covering military risks);
Visit Ukraine Tickets - book bus and train tickets to/from Ukraine;
Visit Ukraine Tours - the largest online database of tours to Ukraine for every taste;
Visit Ukraine Hotels - book hotels for a comfortable stay in Ukraine;
Visit Ukraine Merch - choose patriotic clothing and accessories with worldwide delivery.
Cooperation - cooperation and advertising integrations with Visit Ukraine and Visit World projects.
Ukrainians may be deprived of restful sleep, nerves, and electricity, but they certainly cannot be deprived of their sense of humor, which takes on new colors even during war. Find out which memes and social jokes have become symbols of Ukrainian resistance during the full-scale aggression of the russia
Due to the active propaganda of the russian federation, dozens of false myths related to the culture and history of Ukraine are spreading around the world. Learn how russia distorts facts and tries to rewrite the past of the Ukrainian people
Simultaneous issuance of passport documents is in demand among Ukrainians. In particular, from now on, adult Ukrainians can apply for passport documents together with documents for children
1 minFor refugees
The Swiss government provides Ukrainians who have been granted asylum in the country and now want to return home with money for their return. Find out more about the amount of money refugees can expect and how to receive it
17 May. 2023More details
The simultaneous stay of visitors in the hotel lobby not more than one person per 10 square meters of serviceable area is allowed.
Persons can visit hotels and stay there (outside hotel room) only if they wear respirator or face mask (including homemade mask), so that the nose and mouth are covered.
Hotel guests are obliged to keep the 1.5 meters distance.
Online check-in making in advance is recommended to avoid queues at check-in to hotel.
Meals in hotels are provided through meals delivery service to rooms upon prior order or at hotel restaurants situated inside or in open areas, provided the distance of at least 1.5 meters between seats at adjacent tables.
Not more than 4 clients are allowed to stay at the table (excluding children under 14 years old). Unless these tables are separated by a special partition;
Self-serve is not allowed.