Who is not subject to conscription in 2024 and how to get a deferment?
Martial law and general mobilization have been extended until at least February 14, 2024. Find out who cannot be compulsorily mobilized and who is entitled to a postponement of military service in 2024
Martial law and general mobilization in Ukraine continue, but the government continues to adopt new rules and laws on conscription. In addition, the Verkhovna Rada is currently actively discussing a new draft law that would amend the procedure for mobilization, demobilization and military registration.
We will tell you who is not subject to general mobilization and who is entitled to a deferment from military service now.
Who cannot be mobilized?
The following persons are not subject to general mobilization
– men over 60 years of age;
– reserved persons (citizens employed by public authorities, critical enterprises or organizations)
– citizens recognized as unfit for military service for health reasons;
– citizens who provide full-time care for a person with a disability (if there are documents confirming the fact of care and incapacity of the person (full or partial);
– men and women with many children (if they have three or more minor children);
– single parents of a minor child or a child with a disability.
In addition, they cannot be called up for military service:
– persons who have close relatives who died or went missing while participating in hostilities;
– women and men who have a minor child and a spouse who is performing military service;
– recipients of vocational pre-university and higher education, trainee assistants, graduate students and doctoral students studying full-time or dual education;
– persons who have received a deferment from military service.
Who can get a deferment?
In general, the deferment is granted
– for health and family reasons;
– in case of obtaining education or continuing professional activity;
– in case of exemption from general mobilization by the nature of the activity or for persons booked by enterprises.
Deferment for health reasons
It is granted to persons with disabilities and persons who are recognized as temporarily unfit for military service by the military qualification commission for a period of up to 6 months.
However, according to the order of the Ministry of Defense "On Approval of the Regulations on Military Hospital Expertise in the Armed Forces of Ukraine," men recognized by the MHC as having limited fitness are unfit for service in airborne assault troops, naval forces, marines, special forces (except for support units), but are fit for service in support units, TCCs and JVs, institutions, organizations and educational institutions.
Deferral for family reasons
Such circumstances may include:
– maintenance of three or more minor children;
– independent upbringing of a child under 18 years of age;
– raising a child with a disability: group A - up to 18 years of age, group I-II - up to 18-23 years of age;
– maintenance and upbringing of adopted children under the age of 18;
– granting the status of a missing person or death in action of one of the close relatives (husband/wife, children, parents, grandparents, siblings).
– having disabled close relatives who need support, etc.
How to get a deferral?
To obtain a deferral, a person must submit an application along with a certain package of documents to the TCC. The application must contain passport data and a request for a deferment in accordance with Article 23 of the Law "On Mobilization Preparation and Mobilization", dated and signed. The application must be accompanied by documents confirming the right to deferment.
The decision to defer is made by the commission. After the decision is made, the applicant is provided with an extract from the protocol book.
We remind you! The rules for crossing the border for men have not changed, but border crossing points have begun to require additional confirmation from those who have the right to leave. Read what categories of men can freely leave Ukraine and what documents they need to have in our previous article.
Want to know more? Read the latest news and useful materials about Ukraine and the world in the News section.
We recommend purchasing it for a safe and comfortable trip to Ukraine:
Visit Ukraine Insurance - safe travel in Ukraine (insurance covering military risks);
Visit Ukraine Tickets - book bus and train tickets to/from Ukraine;
Visit Ukraine Tours - the largest online database of tours to Ukraine for every taste;
Visit Ukraine Hotels - book hotels for a comfortable stay in Ukraine;
Visit Ukraine Merch - choose patriotic clothing and accessories with worldwide delivery.
Cooperation - cooperation and advertising integrations with Visit Ukraine and Visit World projects.
© 2018-2023, Visit Ukraine. Use, copying or reprinting of materials on this site is permitted only with a link (hyperlink for online publications) to Visit Ukraine.
All rights reserved.
Men are no longer allowed to leave Ukraine without the relevant documents from the TAC. Find out whether the rules for leaving Ukraine have changed and what documents a man who has the right to leave Ukraine needs to have in order to be allowed to go abroad
02 Jan. 2024More details
It is important for Ukrainians living in EU countries to take out health insurance. First of all, such insurance provides financial protection to avoid high medical expenses. In addition, it provides access to medical care in accordance with European standards. However, there are a number of other important reasons. Find out about them in our article
04 Jan. 2024More details
2 minEntry rules
Ukraine always welcomes foreign visitors and its borders, despite the war, remain open for tourists. Find out more about how to come to Ukraine and what you need for this purpose
08 Jan. 2024More details
Men who have a residence permit abroad can freely cross the Ukrainian border, but not all of them and under certain conditions. Learn more about the rules of entry and exit from Ukraine for citizens permanently residing abroad
09 Jan. 2024More details
The simultaneous stay of visitors in the hotel lobby not more than one person per 10 square meters of serviceable area is allowed.
Persons can visit hotels and stay there (outside hotel room) only if they wear respirator or face mask (including homemade mask), so that the nose and mouth are covered.
Hotel guests are obliged to keep the 1.5 meters distance.
Online check-in making in advance is recommended to avoid queues at check-in to hotel.
Meals in hotels are provided through meals delivery service to rooms upon prior order or at hotel restaurants situated inside or in open areas, provided the distance of at least 1.5 meters between seats at adjacent tables.
Not more than 4 clients are allowed to stay at the table (excluding children under 14 years old). Unless these tables are separated by a special partition;
Self-serve is not allowed.