PESEL, NIP, UW, WUP: What abbreviations do Ukrainians in Poland need to know
Refugees from Ukraine settling in Poland should understand and know the meanings of abbreviations and terms popular in the country. We tell you what Ukrainians in Poland need to know and how frequently used abbreviations are deciphered
Since the beginning of the war, many Ukrainians decided to leave for Poland. Some of them have already adapted to life in this country and understand all the terms that Poles use in official documents and in everyday life, while some are completely unfamiliar with the Polish vocabulary, which is necessary for comfortable living in this country.
At first glance, leaving and starting a life in Poland is quite simple, since the country is located next to Ukraine and has similarities in culture and rules. However, this is not so! In Poland, there are many abbreviated words and abbreviations that are important for permanent residence in this country. We will tell you more about what terms and abbreviations Ukrainians need to know below.
Life in Poland: a special dictionary of abbreviations
• PESEL (Powszechny Elektroniczny System Ewidencji Ludności) is a universal electronic population registration system, in simple words, it is an 11-digit digital symbol that identifies a natural person.
• PL (Polska) – abbreviated designation of the name of the country.
• PIT (Personal Income Tax) is a tax that everyone who receives income in Poland, including Ukrainians, must pay.
• NIP (Numer identifykaci podatkowej) is a tax identification number consisting of 10 digits, where the first three digits are the code of the tax office that issued the code, and the last one is a check digit.
• UM (Urząd Miejski) is a city office, where Ukrainians can apply for various issues, including obtaining a certificate of residence.
• UW (Urząd Wojewódzki) – voivodeship administration. A level higher than the city level. Voivodeship is like a region in Ukraine.
• MOPS (Miejski Ośrodek Pomocy) is a municipal social assistance center where Ukrainians can receive social assistance.
• ZUS (Zakład Ubezpieczeń Społecznych) – Social Insurance Office – an organization responsible for social insurance issues and controlled by the Polish Ministry of Labor and Social Policy.
• VAT (Podatekod vártího dodanej, English – Value Added Tax) – tax on added value, i.e. VAT.
• ePuaP (elektroniczna Platforma Usług Administracji Publicznej) is an electronic platform of public administration services that combines a wide range of government electronic services.
• POZ (Podstawowa Opieka Zdrowotna) – basic service in the health care system.
• NFZ (Narodowy Fundusz Zdrowia) – national health care fund.
• NBP (Narodowy Bank Polski) – National Bank of Poland.
• DS (Dom Studencki) – student dormitory.
• DT (Dom Turysty) – hotel for tourists.
• PCPR (Powiatowy centrum pomocy rodzinie) – district family assistance center.
• UDSC (Urząd do Spraw Cudzoziemców) – Department for Foreigners.
• USC (Urząd Stanu Cywilnego) – civil status administration – is an analogue of the RACS bodies.
• SOR (Szpitalny Oddział Ratunkowy) – hospital emergency department.
• REGON (Rejestr Gospodarki Narodowej) – all-Polish register of subjects of the national economy of Poland.
• KRS (Krajowy Rejestr Sądowy) – the state court register in Poland. All kinds of business entities and insolvent debtors are registered in the register.
• MSW (Ministerstwa Spraw Wewnętrznych) – Ministry of the Interior of Poland.
• MSZ (Minister Spraw Zagranicznych) – Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Poland.
We will remind you! Ukrainians in Poland are increasingly facing cancellation of UKR (PESEL) status. Read more about who and why can get rid of this status, as well as how to restore it, at the link.
Our products and cooperation:
Visit Ukraine Tours is the largest online database of tours in Ukraine for every taste;
Visit Ukraine Merch - patriotic clothing and accessories with worldwide delivery;
Visit Ukraine Tickets - book airline tickets to anywhere in the world, as well as bus and train tickets;
Cooperation – cooperation and advertising integrations with the Visit Ukraine and Visit World projects.
How to get a registration in Finland for refugees from Ukraine: detailed instructions
Ukrainians who plan to stay in Finland can apply for a permanent residence permit in the country. Learn more about how to do this
When to register a car in Germany: necessary documents and current rules for Ukrainians
Having your own car in a foreign country makes life much easier. Many Ukrainians arrived in Germany by car. Find out in more detail what documents are required to use a car with Ukrainian registration in the country and other rules
1 minFor refugees
Slovakia has extended the term of temporary protection for Ukrainians: details
The authorities of Slovakia have extended the term of temporary protection for refugees from Ukraine who were forcibly moved to the country. Find out more about whether you need to extend your legal residence permit in Slovakia and other details
To issue a Ukrainian passport in Turkey: work schedule and services of SE Document
From now on, Ukrainians staying in Turkey will be able to issue passport documents on the territory of the country at the SE "Document". Find out more about the opening hours and the location of the new point
15 Feb. 2023More details
The simultaneous stay of visitors in the hotel lobby not more than one person per 10 square meters of serviceable area is allowed.
Persons can visit hotels and stay there (outside hotel room) only if they wear respirator or face mask (including homemade mask), so that the nose and mouth are covered.
Hotel guests are obliged to keep the 1.5 meters distance.
Online check-in making in advance is recommended to avoid queues at check-in to hotel.
Meals in hotels are provided through meals delivery service to rooms upon prior order or at hotel restaurants situated inside or in open areas, provided the distance of at least 1.5 meters between seats at adjacent tables.
Not more than 4 clients are allowed to stay at the table (excluding children under 14 years old). Unless these tables are separated by a special partition;
Self-serve is not allowed.