Leaving Ukraine: what things are prohibited to carry across the border
When crossing the border, customs officers check the personal belongings and luggage of Ukrainians travelling abroad. Find out more about what you cannot carry if you are planning to leave Ukraine
The war has forced many Ukrainians to cross the border with neighboring countries more often. Sometimes the desire to bring your favorite food or medicine from Ukraine abroad leads to unpleasant situations with border guards. We recommend that you familiarize yourself with the list of items that are prohibited for transportation across the border.
Prohibited products, medicines and other items when crossing the border
The State Customs Service of Ukraine reminds that prohibited products include meat, medicines, weapons and some other categories.
It is strictly forbidden to transport certain food products across the border, namely:
- Lard and sausages;
- cheese, milk and fermented milk products;
- fresh meat;
- more than 20 kg of fish and 125 g of sturgeon caviar (for larger amounts, a special permit is required).
Some medicines are also prohibited. The following categories of drugs are not allowed to be transported:
- Medicines with narcotic or psychotropic substances that are not intended for medical use;
- Potent medicines, unless they have a prescription from a doctor;
- medicines with a volume of more than 500 ml.
In addition to these items, it is forbidden to transport weapons, cultural monuments and poisons:
- Cold, pneumatic and firearms and their accessories;
- Explosives and gas canisters;
- Toxic and poisonous substances;
- household appliances (more than 1 item);
- minerals that are in the public domain;
- endangered plants and animals;
- cultural monuments (without the appropriate permission);
- equipment with pornographic materials or unlicensed software;
- materials calling for racism or violence.
According to the Customs Service of Ukraine, the following items are prohibited for export from our country:
- Weapons and ammunition;
- Narcotic and psychotropic substances;
- Potent poisonous, radioactive, explosive substances;
- works of art, cultural and historical values;
- cancelled securities;
- items exported in violation of intellectual property.
Restrictions on the transportation of tobacco and alcohol across the border
Alcohol and tobacco can be transported by land in limited quantities:
- Strong alcoholic beverages (maximum 1 litre per person);
- beverages with an alcohol content of less than 22.3% (maximum 2 litres per person);
- beer (up to 16 litres);
- wine (except sparkling wine - up to 4 litres);
- two open packs of cigarettes;
- cigars (maximum 10 pieces);
- e-liquids for smoking electronic cigarettes (up to 10 ml).
It should be added that these goods are allowed to be transported by persons over 21 years of age.
What to keep in mind when crossing the border
When crossing the border, border guards have the right to check the personal belongings of citizens. It is also worth knowing that all items that are imported abroad receive the status of "temporarily imported", i.e. the owner must take them with him or her upon return.
Personal belongings are subject to customs duties, but they will not be imposed if their value is less than:
- €150 for persons under 15 years of age
- €300 for persons over 15 years of age;
- €430 for air travel.
Just a reminder. If you are travelling with pets, you should consider the rules for transporting animals in Ukraine and abroad. We tell you how to travel with pets properly here.
Our recommendation for a safe and comfortable trip:
Visit Ukraine Insurance - insurance for a safe stay abroad without unnecessary expenses;
Green Card - compulsory car insurance for traveling abroad;
Visit Ukraine Tickets - book tickets for buses, trains, and airplanes to/from Ukraine and between cities around the world;
Private Lawyer service - professional legal support on visa and migration issues;
Visit Ukraine Merch - buy patriotic clothing and accessories with worldwide delivery.
Flights across Europe: Ukrainian low-cost SkyUp opens a subsidiary airline in the EU
Ukrainian low-cost SkyUp is expanding its operations and opening a full-fledged airline in the European Union. Find out more about the company's development in the EU and when flights will be available
06 May. 2023More details
Insurance policy Green Card for a car: answers to popular questions
A Green Card is a necessary insurance for travelling outside Ukraine in your own car for safe travel. Find out more about what the policy covers, what documents are required and other issues
06 May. 2023More details
No bureaucracy and no exams: Lithuania simplifies exchange of driving licences for Ukrainians
The Lithuanian government has significantly simplified the exchange of driving licences for Ukrainian citizens. From now on, the procedure will take place without passing theoretical and practical exams. Find out more about what is required to exchange documents in the country
07 May. 2023More details
2 minEntry rules
How to get from France to Ukraine: convenient routes
The absence of air travel reduces the number of options for getting to Ukraine. However, the country's land borders are open, so we have prepared routes to enter Ukraine from France for everyone
07 May. 2023More details
The simultaneous stay of visitors in the hotel lobby not more than one person per 10 square meters of serviceable area is allowed.
Persons can visit hotels and stay there (outside hotel room) only if they wear respirator or face mask (including homemade mask), so that the nose and mouth are covered.
Hotel guests are obliged to keep the 1.5 meters distance.
Online check-in making in advance is recommended to avoid queues at check-in to hotel.
Meals in hotels are provided through meals delivery service to rooms upon prior order or at hotel restaurants situated inside or in open areas, provided the distance of at least 1.5 meters between seats at adjacent tables.
Not more than 4 clients are allowed to stay at the table (excluding children under 14 years old). Unless these tables are separated by a special partition;
Self-serve is not allowed.