What to do if you have lost your passport abroad: an algorithm of actions
Anyone can lose or steal passport documents while staying in another country. However, it is important to remember the algorithm of actions in such a situation. Here's what to do if you lose your passport abroad
While traveling outside Ukraine, anyone can face an unpleasant situation that may result in the discovery that they have accidentally lost their passport documents. The Ministry of Internal Affairs of Ukraine has explained what Ukrainians who have lost their passports abroad should do.
What should I do if I lose my passport abroad?
In most countries, the procedure for applying to the competent authorities in case of passport loss is the same. In particular, after you have found out that the document has disappeared, you should take the following steps:
• Immediately go to the nearest police station to file a report. It is recommended to indicate in the application all visas and stamps that were obtained in your passport in the country of your stay (if applicable);
• Obtain a copy of the protocol or a certificate of temporary absence of a foreign passport, which will be issued after the application is accepted;
• Using this certificate, apply to the nearest diplomatic or consular mission of Ukraine to obtain a new passport or identity card for returning to Ukraine;
• After returning home, you need to contact the State Migration Service (SMS) to report the loss of the document and get a new one. To do this, you will need:
- internal passport of a citizen of Ukraine;
- a receipt of payment for the service.
An urgent document is issued within 7 business days, and a non-urgent document - within 20 business days.
We also recommend that you prepare in advance for possible unforeseen situations:
• Keep useful contacts of the Ukrainian embassy or consulate in the country you plan to visit.
• Make copies of the main documents and keep them separately from the originals. In particular, keep your passports (foreign and domestic) separate from each other.
Please note! You can apply for or restore lost passport documents at any unit of the SMS, regardless of the place of registration.
Read more about what to do if you have lost your passport in Poland in our article.
Earlier we wrote that simultaneous issuance of passport documents is in demand among Ukrainians. In particular, from now on, adult Ukrainians can apply for passport documents simultaneously with documents for children. For more details, please follow the link.
Our recommendation for a safe and comfortable trip:
Visit Ukraine Insurance - insurance for a safe stay abroad without unnecessary expenses;
Green Card - compulsory car insurance for traveling abroad;
Visit Ukraine Tickets - book tickets for buses, trains, and airplanes to/from Ukraine and between cities around the world;
Private Lawyer service - professional legal support on visa and migration issues;
Visit Ukraine Merch - buy patriotic clothing and accessories with worldwide delivery.
During the war, young people in Ukraine find themselves in a difficult and challenging situation. However, despite the difficulties, teenagers continue to strive for a peaceful and fulfilling life. Find out more about how Ukrainian youth are developing and what their plans for the future are
17 May. 2023More details
The main attribute of the Vyshyvanka Day is an embroidered shirt, which is considered a symbol of identification of the Ukrainian people. We tell you about the history of the holiday, the meaning of embroidery, and when Ukrainians started wearing embroidery for the first time
Ukrainians who are currently abroad have the opportunity to take the National Multisubject Test (NMT), which is required for admission to higher education institutions. We will tell you where you can take the exam in Poland
Turkey has made a significant contribution to supporting Ukraine in the wake of russia's armed aggression. Find out more about how Erdogan's victory/loss could affect relations with Ukraine and whether we should expect further assistance
The simultaneous stay of visitors in the hotel lobby not more than one person per 10 square meters of serviceable area is allowed.
Persons can visit hotels and stay there (outside hotel room) only if they wear respirator or face mask (including homemade mask), so that the nose and mouth are covered.
Hotel guests are obliged to keep the 1.5 meters distance.
Online check-in making in advance is recommended to avoid queues at check-in to hotel.
Meals in hotels are provided through meals delivery service to rooms upon prior order or at hotel restaurants situated inside or in open areas, provided the distance of at least 1.5 meters between seats at adjacent tables.
Not more than 4 clients are allowed to stay at the table (excluding children under 14 years old). Unless these tables are separated by a special partition;
Self-serve is not allowed.