Entry to Ukraine for Moldovan Citizens: do foreigners need a visa in 2023?
There is a visa-free regime between Ukraine and Moldova, but in some cases foreigners still need to apply for a visa to enter Ukraine. Learn about the rules of crossing the Ukrainian border and peculiarities of travel planning for foreign citizens during martial law
The rich culture of Ukraine and numerous architectural, cultural and natural sights impress and surprise many travelers. Therefore, even despite the military risks, foreigners continue to travel to Ukraine.
In the conditions of martial law, the land borders of Ukraine work as usual, and the entry rules have not changed. Both Ukrainians and foreigners can cross the border. Only the closed airspace in the state forces you to carefully plan your trip.
There is a visa-free regime between Ukraine and Moldova, but in certain cases foreigners still need to issue a visa to enter Ukraine. Today we will tell you about the rules for visa-free entry, when citizens of Moldova need to issue a permit, and how to prepare for a trip to Ukraine in wartime conditions.
It should be noted that more than half a million tourists from Moldova visited Ukraine in the first half of 2023.
Entry into Ukraine for a citizen of Moldova based on visa-free rules
Citizens of Moldova have the right to enter Ukraine without a visa if the planned stay is less than 90 days. The purpose of the trip is also important - tourism, visiting relatives or other short-term trips, because working and studying on the basis of a visa-free visa is prohibited.
Entry is carried out on the basis of a foreign passport, which must be valid for at least 6 months after crossing the border. It is also necessary to have the following package of documents:
● a document that would confirm the purpose of the trip – tourist vouchers, tickets to seminars, exhibitions, fairs, invitations from companies and organizations, hotel reservations, apartment rental contracts, etc.;
● confirmation of the availability of sufficient funds for travel in Ukraine - an average of $45 per person for each day of stay in Ukraine.
Importantly! As of July 1, all Covid-19 restrictions and quarantine measures have been canceled in Ukraine. Therefore, during border control, it is no longer necessary to provide proof of vaccination against COVID-19 and to observe quarantine measures while in Ukraine.
When will a citizen of Moldova need a visa to Ukraine?
It is necessary to issue a visa for entering Ukraine if:
● The planned period of stay in Ukraine exceeds 90 days.
● You plan to work or study.
It is necessary to obtain a visa in Moldova. To do this, contact the embassy or consulate of Ukraine in Moldova and apply for a long-term visa (type "D").
Approximate list of documents:
● a passport that is valid for three months from the day of arrival in Ukraine and contains at least two pages and is issued for a maximum of ten years;
● visa application form;
● 35*45 mm color photograph;
● a health insurance policy covering costs of at least 30,000 euros;
● a document that will confirm the purpose of staying in Ukraine - an employment contract, confirmation of family ties, a certificate of admission to a university;
● availability of sufficient financial support for living in Ukraine;
● a receipt for the payment of the consular fee.
After arriving in Ukraine on the basis of a visa, you need to issue a residence permit. The procedure for obtaining a residence permit in Ukraine consists of several stages and requires the preparation of a certain list of documents. A migration lawyer will help you understand all the intricacies of Ukrainian legislation. You can order a consultation from a highly qualified specialist using the link.
Do foreigners go to Ukraine in wartime?
Foreigners continue to explore Ukraine, even despite the imposed martial law.
In 2023, more than 1.3 million tourists came to the state and this number is constantly increasing. Also, many travelers visited Ukraine in 2022. Read in more detail about the trips of foreigners to Ukraine during the war at the link. We talked about why tourists go to Ukraine earlier.
How to get from Moldova to Ukraine?
The airspace in Ukraine is closed, so the only way to get to Ukraine is to use land transport. To make your trip as quick and comfortable as possible, we recommend ordering an individual transfer from Chisinau to Odessa (and back) for 1-3 or 8 people.
The traveler can choose from three classes of cars: standard, business and minibus.
The date and time of the trip is agreed individually. The road from Chisinau to Odesa will take only 5 hours. You can order a transfer via the link.
Also, to simplify the process of preparing for the trip, we have collected the most convenient ways of entering Ukraine from Moldova. Learn more in our material.
How to plan a trip to Ukraine during the war: top 8 useful tips
Preparation for the trip is an important part of any trip, because it is necessary to take into account many nuances, especially if your trip takes place in the conditions of war. Therefore, we have prepared for you some useful tips that can simplify this stage:
1. If the purpose of your trip to Ukraine is tourism, then take care of purchasing an interesting tour from a reliable operator. The largest database of safe tours in Ukraine by link.
2. To make the trip easy and positive, you should choose reliable carriers. See the schedule and book train or bus tickets here.
3. Book a safe hotel. Ukraine has a very wide base of accommodation facilities. During vacation, a tourist can stay in a hotel with different stars, a hostel, rent an apartment or rest in a guest house.
4. If you came to Ukraine without your own car, be sure to rent one to feel more mobile. Read how to do it in our material.
5. Medical insurance is mandatory for crossing the Ukrainian border. However, when traveling in Ukraine during a state of war, you should take care of an insurance policy that covers the indemnification of war-related risks: damages in the event of an accident due to hostilities or acts of terrorism, outpatient treatment, hospitalization and emergency care. Apply for reliable insurance quickly and easily using the link. Read more about the benefits of military risk insurance in Ukraine here.
6. While in Ukraine, be sure to follow the safety rules. Useful information for entering Ukraine during the war at the link.
7. Read about the most common mistakes travelers make when planning a trip to Ukraine here.
Ukraine is a fantastic country that can surprise and impress everyone, so we invite you on a fabulous journey!
We recommend purchasing it for a safe and comfortable trip to Ukraine:
Visit Ukraine Insurance - safe travel in Ukraine (insurance covering military risks);
Visit Ukraine Tickets - book bus and train tickets to/from Ukraine;
Visit Ukraine Tours - the largest online database of tours to Ukraine for every taste;
Visit Ukraine Hotels - book hotels for a comfortable stay in Ukraine;
Visit Ukraine Merch - choose patriotic clothing and accessories with worldwide delivery.
Cooperation - cooperation and advertising integrations with Visit Ukraine and Visit World projects.
Czech authorities are preparing to launch a special register of vehicles with Ukrainian license plates. Find out whether the registration of Ukrainian cars in the country will be free of charge, how the procedure will work and other important details
04 Sep. 2023More details
Ukrainian law enforcers, it turns out, can request the extradition of evaders who illegally traveled abroad during the war. Read more about whether it is possible to forcibly return offenders home
04 Sep. 2023More details
Charity plays a significant social role in every country, but during the war, Ukrainians turned this concept into a real phenomenon. Learn more about how and why Ukrainians surprised the world
05 Sep. 2023More details
Before traveling abroad by car, there are a few important details to consider regarding documents and insurance. Find out what you need to have for a worry-free international road trip
05 Sep. 2023More details
The simultaneous stay of visitors in the hotel lobby not more than one person per 10 square meters of serviceable area is allowed.
Persons can visit hotels and stay there (outside hotel room) only if they wear respirator or face mask (including homemade mask), so that the nose and mouth are covered.
Hotel guests are obliged to keep the 1.5 meters distance.
Online check-in making in advance is recommended to avoid queues at check-in to hotel.
Meals in hotels are provided through meals delivery service to rooms upon prior order or at hotel restaurants situated inside or in open areas, provided the distance of at least 1.5 meters between seats at adjacent tables.
Not more than 4 clients are allowed to stay at the table (excluding children under 14 years old). Unless these tables are separated by a special partition;
Self-serve is not allowed.