We are planning to go abroad: how to leave during the war, what documents and things are needed
Evacuation or travel - any trip outside of Ukraine begins with preparation and collection of necessary things. In the conditions of martial law, moving has become more difficult, so taking extra luggage with you is an additional hassle.
Preparation for the trip
Firstly, we advise you to prepare in advance for any trip:
• make a list of necessary things - this will allow you to take a more balanced approach to collecting your suitcase and save time;
• learn more about the most convenient routes, rules and necessary documents for traveling abroad under martial law;
• if you belong to the category of citizens who are prohibited from leaving - we advise you to familiarize yourself with the possible legal options for leaving the country for a spouse during martial law;
• learn more about the country you are going to and, if necessary, find accommodation, food, and plan routes.
In the event that it is an emergency evacuation, and you have limited time for gathering, here you will find a minimum list of the most necessary.
Documents, money, bank cards and contacts for travel
The most important thing to have with you while traveling. Place them in quick access, perhaps in a separate small bag:
• Domestic and foreign passport + several copies, including in electronic format.
• Children's birth certificate + copies.
• Tickets and reservations - in electronic and paper form (in case of problems with the phone or communication).
• Money - cash and bank cards. If possible, take care of purchasing the currency of the country you are going to or pay with a bank card. To do this, check whether it works abroad before your trip.
• Documents for a car, driver's license. Those who travel or are going to leave Europe in their own car - we advise you to take out a "Green Card" insurance policy.
• Education diploma, medical card, work book, marriage and divorce certificates, documents for an apartment/house/other real estate, international veterinary passport. This list is relevant for those who go abroad in search of protection.
Also, before departure, we advise you to learn more about the use of Ukrainian digital documents abroad.
In the event of an emergency, write down on paper the contacts and address of the Embassy or Consulate of Ukraine, information about border points, numbers of rescue services in the host country.
Medical insurance for travel
The most important thing to have when traveling is travel insurance. Even a minor cold can cost you a fortune abroad: calling an ambulance, going to the doctor, tests are usually very expensive for foreigners. Therefore, before leaving, make sure to buy an insurance policy, because it is a guarantee of your safety and peaceful stay outside of Ukraine. In order not to have trouble abroad and to be calm for yourself and your loved ones, Visit Ukraine recommends taking out medical insurance in advance. Read more about the benefits of health insurance and actions in the event of an insured event on our portal.
First aid kit for travel
It can be quite difficult to buy medicines abroad, because medicines can be sold only by prescription, cost much more or there are no pharmacies nearby, so we advise you to have a certain supply of medicines:
• medicines used for problems with the gastrointestinal tract: from diarrhea, poisoning, etc.;
• antipyretic drugs and to ease the course of ARVI;
• medicines for allergies;
• anti-inflammatory and sedative;
• dressing materials, antiseptic;
• means against insects.
Also, if you have chronic diseases or take certain drugs constantly, prepare a sufficient supply of these drugs.
Equipment and gadgets for trips
For a comfortable trip, you will need:
• Mobile phone - before the trip, it is worth checking the possibilities of accessing the Internet from your device, including from abroad. We also recommend downloading the necessary maps and translators.
• Power bank – pay attention to its capacity and number of charges.
• Laptop, tablet, e-book.
• Chargers and adapters for sockets, if in the country where you are going. They are different from the ones Ukrainians are used to.
• Tee - such a simple thing will help you charge several devices at once, because the number of sockets in the room where you will live may be limited.
Personal items: clothes, cosmetics, hygiene products
Depending on the purpose and duration of the trip, take care of comfortable clothes. It is better to take only tested things and shoes on the road, because new ones can cause unnecessary trouble. Give preference to clothes that do not wrinkle, dry quickly and are made of natural fabrics. Think about things for sleep and home. It is important to have shoes that do not get wet when visiting a public shower.
The list of cosmetics and hygiene products can be endless, but we advise you to focus on the most necessary: toothpaste and brush, shaving equipment, manicure scissors, comb, deodorant and shampoo, wipes and hand sanitizers, cotton buds and pads, moisturizing cream, tweezers for eyebrows, decorative cosmetics, feminine hygiene products.
It is better to give preference to tools that do not take up a lot of space, have travel packaging options or samplers. Also, sometimes it is easier to buy something on the spot than to take it with you: shampoos, shower gels, etc.
Things for a trip for a child
The list of necessary things for traveling with a child can include:
• Comfortable clothes and shoes, depending on the season and weather. We advise you to have an additional set of things in quick access, in case the child gets dirty.
• Children's medicines and hygiene products: potty, diapers, wet wipes, etc.
• Usual and favorite food, water, juice - give preference to products with a long shelf life: children's canned goods, mashed potatoes, instant cereals, cookies.
• Toys and entertainment for the road - books, coloring pages, constructors, cartoons.
• A baby carriage.
1 minFor refugees
1 minFor refugees
The simultaneous stay of visitors in the hotel lobby not more than one person per 10 square meters of serviceable area is allowed.
Persons can visit hotels and stay there (outside hotel room) only if they wear respirator or face mask (including homemade mask), so that the nose and mouth are covered.
Hotel guests are obliged to keep the 1.5 meters distance.
Online check-in making in advance is recommended to avoid queues at check-in to hotel.
Meals in hotels are provided through meals delivery service to rooms upon prior order or at hotel restaurants situated inside or in open areas, provided the distance of at least 1.5 meters between seats at adjacent tables.
Not more than 4 clients are allowed to stay at the table (excluding children under 14 years old). Unless these tables are separated by a special partition;
Self-serve is not allowed.