Entry to Ukraine for Hungarian citizens: do foreigners need a visa in 2023?
Ukraine's land borders are open to foreign travelers. Find out more about how to get to Ukraine from Hungary and whether foreigners need a visa to cross the border
Despite the imposed martial law, the rules of entry into Ukraine and the country's migration legislation have not changed. The land borders of the country are also working normally. The only thing that complicates the journey is closed air space. Both citizens and foreigners have the right to cross the Ukrainian border, the main thing is to have the appropriate package of documents.
Do citizens of Hungary need a visa to enter Ukraine? There is a visa-free regime between the states, so in most cases, Hungarians will not need a visa to travel to Ukraine, except for certain exceptions. We tell in more detail below.
It should be noted that over 72 thousand tourists from Hungary visited Ukraine in the first half of 2023.
Who is entitled to visa-free travel from Hungary to Ukraine?
In order to obtain the right to visa-free entry to Ukraine, the travel of a Hungarian citizen must meet the following two requirements:
● Planned stay of less than 90 days within a 180-day period.
● The purpose of the trip is tourism, visiting relatives, seminars or other short-term trips.
Importantly! It is forbidden to work or study without a visa.
What documents do Hungarian citizens need for visa-free entry to Ukraine?
To enter the territory of Ukraine, citizens of Hungary must present a valid foreign passport. It is also necessary to have:
● a document that will confirm the purpose of the trip to Ukraine – booking a tour, tickets to seminars, exhibitions, fairs, invitations from companies and organizations;
● confirmation of the availability of housing in Ukraine – hotel reservations, apartment rental contracts, etc.;
● sufficient financial support for travel in Ukraine ($45 per person for each day of stay in Ukraine).
Since July 1, all restrictions and quarantine measures related to the Covid-19 epidemic have been canceled in Ukraine. Therefore, foreigners do not need to provide proof of vaccination and wear a protective mask.
When does a Hungarian need to issue a visa to Ukraine?
It is necessary to issue a visa for entering Ukraine if the planned period of stay in the country exceeds 90 days or if the foreigner plans to work or study in Ukraine.
It is necessary to issue a long-term visa (type "D") before traveling, at the embassy or consulate of Ukraine located in Hungary. It is better to apply for a visa three months before the planned trip to Ukraine.
After arriving in Ukraine on the basis of a long-term visa, it is necessary to issue a residence permit. The procedure for obtaining a residence permit in Ukraine consists of several stages and requires the preparation of a certain list of documents. An immigration lawyer will help you understand all the intricacies of Ukrainian legislation. Order a consultation of highly qualified specialists using the link.
How to get from Hungary to Ukraine
In closed airspace, it can be quite difficult to get to Ukraine. However, we have collected the most convenient and fastest routes for you. Search for comfortable travel options using the link.
Do foreign tourists go to Ukraine during the war?
Despite the martial law, tourists continue to visit Ukraine. Over 1.3 million tourists came to the country in the I and II quarters of 2023, and even more travelers visited the country in 2022. Tourists share their impressions of their trip to Ukraine during the war here and here.
How to plan a trip from Hungary to Ukraine: useful tips
1. If you are planning a tourist trip to Ukraine, start your preparations by booking an interesting and, most importantly, safe tour. Ukraine is rich in interesting places, some of them are quite romantic and even mysterious.
2. An important stage of organizing a trip to Ukraine is the process of purchasing tickets. To make your trip as comfortable as possible, you should choose only proven ticket purchase services. Thousands of travelers book tickets on the Visit Ukraine portal. Plane, train or bus - a ticket for any type of transport in one place. You can see the schedule and make a reservation by following the link.
3. Be sure to find housing. Ukraine has a very wide base of accommodation facilities. During your vacation, you can stay in a hotel with different stars, a hostel, rent an apartment or rest in a guest house. You can book using the link. Also, when choosing a hotel, pay attention to the presence of nearby shelters.
4. When traveling to Ukraine under martial law, it is important to find insurance that covers war-related risks: damages in the event of an accident due to hostilities or acts of terrorism, outpatient treatment, hospitalization and emergency care. You can issue a policy by following the link.
5. When going on a trip, don't forget that your journey begins the moment you get on the plane, train or car. In order for it to be unforgettable and comfortable, it is important to prepare the necessary arsenal of things in advance. Find out what you should take with you on vacation to Ukraine in our material. Also, familiarize yourself with the most typical mistakes made by foreign tourists when planning a trip to Ukraine and do not repeat them.
6. In order to feel more mobile, tourists who will come to Ukraine without their own transport are advised to rent a car.
Also, ask for help from Visit Ukraine managers at any stage of preparing a trip to Ukraine or during your stay in the country.
Ukraine is an interesting and multifaceted country that will make every traveler fall in love with it. Natural beauty, UNESCO World Heritage sites, turbulent history and delicious cuisine are all about Ukraine, so we invite you on a fabulous journey.
We recommend purchasing it for a safe and comfortable trip to Ukraine:
Visit Ukraine Insurance - safe travel in Ukraine (insurance covering military risks);
Visit Ukraine Tickets - book bus and train tickets to/from Ukraine;
Visit Ukraine Tours - the largest online database of tours to Ukraine for every taste;
Visit Ukraine Hotels - book hotels for a comfortable stay in Ukraine;
Visit Ukraine Merch - choose patriotic clothing and accessories with worldwide delivery.
Cooperation - cooperation and advertising integrations with Visit Ukraine and Visit World projects.
Regardless of gender or age, more and more people are choosing to travel solo, exploring the world on their own. Find out about the 6 most important trends in solo travel that are defining the modern world of travel and contributing to the recovery of global tourism
Ignorance of the traffic rules of Poland can lead to serious consequences for the Ukrainian wallet. In some cases, it can even lead to the deprivation of a driver's license. We will tell you why you can be deprived of your driving license in Poland
The European Union has suspended the launch of a new border control system tentatively until 2025. Find out more about when the system is planned to be launched and what is standing in the way
According to Eurostat, Europeans work an average of 37.5 hours per week, but some countries have much lower working hours. Find out more about the best countries to move to to have fewer working hours per week
The simultaneous stay of visitors in the hotel lobby not more than one person per 10 square meters of serviceable area is allowed.
Persons can visit hotels and stay there (outside hotel room) only if they wear respirator or face mask (including homemade mask), so that the nose and mouth are covered.
Hotel guests are obliged to keep the 1.5 meters distance.
Online check-in making in advance is recommended to avoid queues at check-in to hotel.
Meals in hotels are provided through meals delivery service to rooms upon prior order or at hotel restaurants situated inside or in open areas, provided the distance of at least 1.5 meters between seats at adjacent tables.
Not more than 4 clients are allowed to stay at the table (excluding children under 14 years old). Unless these tables are separated by a special partition;
Self-serve is not allowed.