How a foreigner can rent an apartment in Ukraine: necessary documents, safe regions and useful tips
One of the most important needs of foreigners planning their stay in Ukraine is housing. Find out where to find the right accommodation for daily or long-term rent, what are the current prices for apartments, and how to avoid getting scammed when renting a house
Interest in Ukraine continues to grow among foreigners despite the war. One of the key needs for foreigners planning a long-term stay in Ukraine is housing.
Here's how foreigners can rent an apartment in Ukraine, starting with the necessary documents and housing prices in relatively safe regions and tips for avoiding scams.
Daily and long-term apartment rental in Ukraine: current prices
Daily rent in Ukraine is a popular choice among foreigners who come for a short visit or vacation. As a rule, apartments are already furnished.
If your stay in Ukraine is going to be a long one, for example, a year or more, a long-term apartment rental may be a more profitable and cost-effective option.
Usually, the prices for long-term rentals are lower than for daily rentals. Also, if possible, you can adapt the apartment to your needs, for example, with furniture and decor.
Rental prices in Ukraine 2023
The average rental price for a one-bedroom apartment in Ukraine is UAH 9,500 per month:
The highest rental price is in Kyiv (UAH 14,000 per month).
The lowest rental price is in Khmelnytskyi (UAH 4,500 per month).
In other major cities, the cost of renting a one-bedroom apartment can vary from UAH 6,000 per month to UAH 10,000 per month.
The average rent for a two-bedroom apartment in Ukraine is UAH 13,000 per month:
The highest price is in Kyiv (UAH 20,000 per month).
The lowest price is in Kryvyi Rih (UAH 5,500 per month).
In other major cities, the cost of renting a one-bedroom apartment varies from UAH 8,500 per month to UAH 14,000 per month.
What documents do I need to rent an apartment?
The list of documents required for signing a lease agreement for foreigners:
- passport of a foreign citizen for traveling abroad;
- registration number of the taxpayer's account card;
- a notarized translation of the passport into Ukrainian;
- a foreigner also needs to obtain an extract from the register of rights to movable property.
It is important to make sure that all the information matches the information in the apartment purchase and sale agreement, including the exact address, area, form of ownership and personal data of the apartment owner.
How to conclude an apartment lease agreement?
A lease agreement must be concluded in writing. If the apartment is leased for more than three years, the agreement must be notarized.
The agreement must contain the following information:
- information about the owner of the property;
- details of all documents confirming the ownership of the apartment;
- address of the apartment and room number;
- terms and procedure of payment;
- the term of the agreement;
- rights and obligations of the tenant and the landlord;
- reasons for early termination of the agreement;
- monetary obligations, etc.
When drafting the agreement, you should specify a specific date for moving into the property and carefully check the agreement.
Tips for those who rent a home
• Check the documents personally.
• Make sure that you are dealing with the owner of the apartment or his representative: ask to see an identity document.
• Documentation of rights to the apartment.
• The tenant must check with the owner all documents confirming the ownership of the apartment, for example, a contract: purchase and sale of an apartment, gift, certificate of inheritance, ownership of housing, etc.
• Technical passport and status of the apartment. Please note! The technical passport of the apartment must be up-to-date, and the apartment itself must match the passport.
• The apartment must be habitable. All major utilities must be in good working order (water, heat and electricity supply, drainage, ventilation).
• Safe regions.
• Given the current circumstances in Ukraine, you need to take care of your own safety. Currently, the safest regions for living in Ukraine are Lviv, Zakarpattia and Chernivtsi regions.
Where to look for housing in Ukraine: a selection of portals
• Flatfy is a service for renting real estate from owners. Use the filters to select the number of rooms, price, year of construction, ceiling height, type of heating, area, and floor.
• Rieltor is a service for renting housing on the secondary market from real estate agents. You can view ratings of the best agents.
• Bird for iOS is an app where all ads are checked using artificial intelligence. The app collects the most relevant ads from 24 apartment search sites.
• Dobovo - there are filters for the number of people, check-in and check-out times, etc. For those who register through the site, there is a 15% discount.
• Olx.real estate - allows users to rent an apartment, room or house on a long-term or daily basis. Users can view prices in hryvnia, dollars, or euros.
How to avoid falling into the hands of fraudsters when looking for an apartment?
• Check the meter readings before moving in and include them in the contract.
• Pay the deposit directly upon check-in. It is a common practice for scammers to ask for a deposit from several potential buyers and not contact them afterwards.
• Pay attention to market prices and avoid renting suspiciously cheap apartments.
• If the photos look too perfect and photoshopped, check them with a Google search.
• The landlord may tell you that there are many people interested in renting the apartment and offer to book it for an additional fee. This is a common tactic for scammers to get money and never get in touch again.
• You should provide photos and copies of your documents only after signing the contract.
Take care of safety during your stay in Ukraine
When planning a trip to Ukraine, take care of your own safety and protect yourself from unforeseen expenses. In order to feel as calm as possible and not worry about unplanned expenses under martial law, you need to take care of purchasing proper insurance covering military risks.
Also, when traveling, choose reliable companies to make your travel experience pleasant and positive. You can easily choose and book plane, bus or train tickets within Ukraine and between cities in Europe and the world from reliable carriers by following the link.
In order to protect yourself in case of unforeseen circumstances, we recommend booking a hotel in the desired region of Ukraine in advance. You can do this on our website.
We recommend purchasing it for a safe and comfortable trip to Ukraine:
Visit Ukraine Insurance - safe travel in Ukraine (insurance covering military risks);
Visit Ukraine Tickets - book bus and train tickets to/from Ukraine;
Visit Ukraine Tours - the largest online database of tours to Ukraine for every taste;
Visit Ukraine Hotels - book hotels for a comfortable stay in Ukraine;
Visit Ukraine Merch - choose patriotic clothing and accessories with worldwide delivery.
Cooperation - cooperation and advertising integrations with Visit Ukraine and Visit World projects.
3 minTourists in Ukraine
Ukraine continues to welcome foreign visitors even during the war, and despite the threats from russia, it fascinates people who come from other continents. Find out more about the trip of our 78-year-old American guest on the eve of Ukraine's Independence Day
04 Sep. 2023More details
The French Minister of Transport, Clement Bon, has announced the preparation of a proposal aimed at establishing a minimum price for air travel within the European Union in order to combat climate change. Find out more about the planned changes to airfares
05 Sep. 2023More details
This summer, there was a significant increase in passenger traffic at the checkpoints. Find out at what stage the eCherha for buses and cars is being tested and what the situation is at the Ukrainian border in an interview with a SBGS spokesperson
06 Sep. 2023More details
The lack of air travel reduces the number of options for getting to Ukraine. However, the country's land borders are open, so we have prepared routes for foreigners to enter from Norway and stay in Ukraine, as well as useful tips for crossing the border
06 Sep. 2023More details
The simultaneous stay of visitors in the hotel lobby not more than one person per 10 square meters of serviceable area is allowed.
Persons can visit hotels and stay there (outside hotel room) only if they wear respirator or face mask (including homemade mask), so that the nose and mouth are covered.
Hotel guests are obliged to keep the 1.5 meters distance.
Online check-in making in advance is recommended to avoid queues at check-in to hotel.
Meals in hotels are provided through meals delivery service to rooms upon prior order or at hotel restaurants situated inside or in open areas, provided the distance of at least 1.5 meters between seats at adjacent tables.
Not more than 4 clients are allowed to stay at the table (excluding children under 14 years old). Unless these tables are separated by a special partition;
Self-serve is not allowed.